miller/vincent STOP lights

overthehill

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
my old lucas 1960s taillamp required a new lense so i thought i'd fit an original vincent 'STOP' lamp.
however when i got it fitted i wasnt that enthralled at the light output.- i dont often ride in the dark but when i do i like to make sure that any following volvo driver has no excuse to take me out from behind -
the main failing with the pattern unit i bought was that it had no reflectors behind the bulbs.
in my stock of 'bits that might come in handy one day' i found a pair of cheap indicators which had good reflectors in them - a bit of trimming and cutting got them into the rear lamp and have transformed the light output - i would say its doubled the intensity of the light output and certainly given it a wider spread of bright light.
Do the original units have a reflector behind the bulbs? - or are they the same at the pattern units?
also
Anyone know where i can find suitable LED bulbs (+ve earth) to hopefully improve things even more.

VinParts

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
LED Bulbs.

If you were -ve then I have RED LED bulbs in stock. As you are +ve you could email aceparts.com and see if they can help you.

Cheers,
Russ

jellywrestler

Non-VOC Member
taillight lense

hi people, i'm looking for a red lense for my taillight that is prismatic. i've fitted an led insert which in theory is great but the reality is it needs prismatic diffusion to get the best results.
has anyone found a lense that will fit?

also i'm having trouble posting a new thread. any instructions folks?
thanks from new zealand

overthehill

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
hi people, i'm looking for a red lense for my taillight that is prismatic. i've fitted an led insert which in theory is great but the reality is it needs prismatic diffusion to get the best results.

its a good point - these pattern lamps may be copies of the original but there is so much that could be done to make them better - i am sure that we would be prepared to pay the extra few £ to have a reasonable rear light. - how about it VOCSC?

the more i think about it the more i am tempted to go back to the later Lucas light

Attachments

• Rearlights3.jpg
    Rearlights3.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 43

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
LED Rear Lights!

They did it, we did it, Neil Diggins did it, looks like we are going to have to do it again or just read the back of MPH :D

Russ

mercurycrest

VOC Member

I went to the local auto parts store and bought an inexpensive, generic clearance light for a truck or trailer that had a prismatic lense that looked good. I put the light in my lathe and cut out a circle from the lense that would fit into the Miller Lamp. I used a Velocette/Royal Enfield Miller that didn't have a partition so as to be able to use a dual filament bulb. The inside was painted white to help even more and I replaced "diamond" shaped plate and used a "Stop" plate in it's place. It turned out to be even better than I hoped. Very bright and the modern lense doesn't melt when the brake lamp is held on!

Cheers, John

Last edited by a moderator:

overthehill

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I went to the local auto parts store and bought an inexpensive, generic clearance light for a truck or trailer that had a prismatic lense that looked good. I put the light in my lathe and cut out a circle from the lense that would fit into the Miller Lamp. I used a Velocette/Royal Enfield Miller that didn't have a partition so as to be able to use a dual filament bulb. The inside was painted white to help even more and I replaced "diamond" shaped plate and used a "Stop" plate in it's place. It turned out to be even better than I hoped. Very bright and the modern lense doesn't melt when the brake lamp is held on!

Cheers, John

all of the above with the addition of a reflector cut from an old jap light (or a torch would do)
I used the pattern vincent lamp, removed the partition and cut a hole in the base to take the rubber grommet that holds the twin filament bulbholder from a Lucas lamp; fitted with a 8w/23w bulb.
the only trouble i had was that the prismatic lense i had was flat so it doesnot fit snugly inside the convex 'stop' cutout and also doesnt leave much clearance for the bulb. - it requires some silicone to keep it inplace in the 'stop' cutout.
I will lookout for a more suitable lense for markII but in the meantime is a considerable improvement.
using a twin filament bulb also gives a wider selection of led bulbs if you want to improve things further although the bulb height is critical.

Attachments

• aaaa.jpg
    aaaa.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Imgp0229a.jpg
    Imgp0229a.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Imgp0234a.jpg
    Imgp0234a.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
over the hill's light

I followed Mark (or OTH if you prefer) out of Crieff at the weekend, and was so knocked out by his light that I telephoned to find out what he'd done. Because i was quite close with my eye level about 3 feet above the Vin light, it obviously has overcome the LED problem that it's bright if you look right into it, and much lass visible viewed from an angle. It looked like a modern Honda lamp. While it wasn't exactly bright sunshine (actually it was pissing rain and had been all day.....) , it was far more effective than my two LED bulbs, so the collection of suitable parts starts TODAY!
I'd like to keep the LED's because of their low consumption, so I'll make all the other mods first, and save the 8/21 watt bulb for last.

F

Flatout

Vinney stop lamp.

my old lucas 1960s taillamp required a new lense so i thought i'd fit an original vincent 'STOP' lamp.
however when i got it fitted i wasnt that enthralled at the light output.- i dont often ride in the dark but when i do i like to make sure that any following volvo driver has no excuse to take me out from behind -
the main failing with the pattern unit i bought was that it had no reflectors behind the bulbs.
in my stock of 'bits that might come in handy one day' i found a pair of cheap indicators which had good reflectors in them - a bit of trimming and cutting got them into the rear lamp and have transformed the light output - i would say its doubled the intensity of the light output and certainly given it a wider spread of bright light.
Do the original units have a reflector behind the bulbs? - or are they the same at the pattern units?
also
Anyone know where i can find suitable LED bulbs (+ve earth) to hopefully improve things even more.

Things are moving on with my Comet restoration but can anyone help with the stoplamp.It has the number 30E stamped on it but the copper terminals are shot. Does anyone know where I can get new ones? There seems to be plenty of rep's available so just wondering if someone in the u.k can help out?
Dave