Miller Switch

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've done away with the pilot light - in reality when do you use it? - in even the slightest of dull conditions I want as bright a headlamp as possible shining into the tunnel vision arc of any 4x4 driver about to pull out infront of me. :)
so I have
1) Off
2) Lights on
3) Lights on and additional rear light on - during darkness I have a row of LEDs which sit behind the toolbox (£6 from ebay) and are hardly noticable - they do provide a good additional rear light especially if you are running an original 'STOP' rear lamp.

I also have a jap (sorry) dip/main switch which doesnt have that micro-second (but feels like 'many seconds') lag between dip and main:eek:.
In that case, fit a 20 watt halogen pilot, it`s not dipped. Gets their attention every time.

nkt267

VOC Member
I've done away with the pilot light [/QUOTE
The problem with doing away with the pilot light is this:- If you have a pilot position and it does not work and if the M.O.T man does his job correctly you will fail the M.O.T, as you will have a non functioning lamp.As was pointed out to me on the last M.O.T test. 'Go away and fix it or next time I'll fail you'!!:eek:

overthehill

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I've done away with the pilot light [/QUOTE
The problem with doing away with the pilot light is this:- If you have a pilot position and it does not work and if the M.O.T man does his job correctly you will fail the M.O.T, as you will have a non functioning lamp.As was pointed out to me on the last M.O.T test. 'Go away and fix it or next time I'll fail you'!!:eek:

sounds like you have a very thorough tester. Mine carries out an MOT in the 'spirit of 1950's motorcycling' - ie the brakes sort of work, the wheels don't fall off and it has a white light and a red light at opposite ends.

like the idea of a 20w halogen pilot though - might try that as i still have a spare position on the switch.

nkt267

VOC Member
I got my 20W pilot from Paul Goff.Being a halogen bulb it makes a very effective daylight running lamp.
Yes my tester is thorough.Brakes on the rolling road(well set up Vincent brakes have no problem passing)wheel and headstock and rear frame bearings checked.He checks fork movement after being shown how Girdraulics work(anti dive?).If I have missed something this man may save my life.
I have had tests in the past where if the lights and horn works then it passes.
I really don't want that type of pass..John

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Quite agree, John. The MOT should be carried out as prescribed by the DOT. The Testing Station I use now follow the rules to the letter although it's necessary to point out some the unusual features of the Vincent motorcycle.
On one occasion he declared "These forks are seized" when he applied the front brake and expected the bike to nosedive. At my previous MOT centre the tester virtually walked round my bike, turned the lights on and off and said "OK,have you got last years ticket?" Now, that's not good enough and he could have had his licence withdrawn if a Ministry inspector had been witness to this:(

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Purpose of an MOT

Morning All,

I suppose there are a range of reasons for an MOT - revenue for someone, red tape for someone else - but surely part of the reason for an MOT is to check that the bike is roadworthy at the point at which it is tested. Now we can have a good debate over what should be checked and what should not, but in my opinion having someone independent and (hopefully) knowledgeable cast his eye over my bike properly once a year does two things, firstly I spend time going over the bike to make sure it will pass (healthy) and secondly a second pair of eyes has a good look, feel, prod, push, pull and let's me know what he thinks. I think with the advent of the digital age the process is becoming tighter and I think that is a good thing on the whole - I'd rather not come round a bend to find someone littering the road because they hadn't got their machine sorted. I'm sure we've all walked around at an autojumble or event in the car park and seen some stuff we'd rather not ride on! Only yesterday I stopped off at "On Yer Bike" near Aylesbury for a cuppa - there was a guy who appeared in his 30's to me selling his 1 year old Aprilla 1000 - immaculate bike, carbon fibre everything but the tread was worn through to the fabric of the tyre on both the front and rear tyre - when the sales guy pointed it out he looked surprised - he'd ridden the bike there.

Last week when I MOT'd the Vincent the guy told me the head bearings were too tight (last year he said too slack) - I asked him if he'd slackened the damper - he said "what damper".

He also failed my Ducati for noisy exhaust - I had to ride home, change the end cans and ride back again - of course I left the original ones on afterwards!

On this occasion I'm in favour of red tape.

Regards

Stuart

Quite agree, John. The MOT should be carried out as prescribed by the DOT. The Testing Station I use now follow the rules to the letter although it's necessary to point out some the unusual features of the Vincent motorcycle.
On one occasion he declared "These forks are seized" when he applied the front brake and expected the bike to nosedive. At my previous MOT centre the tester virtually walked round my bike, turned the lights on and off and said "OK,have you got last years ticket?" Now, that's not good enough and he could have had his licence withdrawn if a Ministry inspector had been witness to this:(

Vic Youel

Non-VOC Member
miller switch wiring connections

I have found that the information received (on forum or via PM's) really justify my membership. I would never have conceived some of them.

Thanks for the many recommendations, suggestions and alternate solutions..... one of which I will implement on both of my Vincents.

All the best

Vic

PS Oh, and thanks Graham for making this possible.:)

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Mot

I was discussing MOT's with friends. Someone remarked that X, "a biker's biker", had "tightened up a lot", and was now "VERY strict". He would no longer do MOT's over the 'phone! He insisted on ACTUALLY SEEING THE BIKE! This was delivered in a tone that The Daily Mail reserves for anything (i.e. everything) of which they don't approve. It was a good night.......
Is it a money making scheme? Of course it is. These people (VOSA) would be out of a job otherwise. They are part of the Health and Safety Industry. I have to get a Volvo estate car tested every year (for me, 12,000 miles). The service interval is every 50,000 miles.
Am I deeply resentful? No, not deeply. It does, as stated, give someone else the chance to check my work. I used to regard scrutineers at race meetings as "the enemy". I no longer do. I'm fallible.
But.
Is it true that if your MOT is done within the week after the tax is due, one MOT will do for two years, if you renew promply next year?
I really don't see why we should regard VOSA et al as anything other than commercial organisations when VOSA are quite happy to sell OUR data to car clampers operating MacDonald's car parks. How exactly does that make the roads safer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Mot

I was discussing MOT's with friends. Someone remarked that X, "a biker's biker", had "tightened up a lot", and was now "VERY strict". He would no longer do MOT's over the 'phone! He insisted on ACTUALLY SEEING THE BIKE! This was delivered in a tone that The Daily Mail reserves for anything (i.e. everything) of which they don't approve. It was a good night.......
Is it a money making scheme? Of course it is. These people (VOSA) would be out of a job otherwise. They are part of the Health and Safety Industry. I have to get a Volvo estate car tested every year (for me, 12,000 miles). The service interval is every 50,000 miles.
Am I deeply resentful? No, not deeply. It does, as stated, give another someone else the chance to check my work. I used to regard scrutineers at race meetings as "the enemy". I no longer do.
But.
Is it true that if your MOT is done within the week after the tax is due, one MOT will do for two years, if you renew promply next year? Tell me it isn't so.
I really don't see why we should regard VOSA as anything other than a commercial organisation when they are quite happy to sell OUR data to wheel clampers operating MacDonald's car parks. How exactly does that improve road safety?

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
MOT Avoidance

Tom

I think that you will find that it is DVLA flogging your details to the clampers not VOSA ( a different bunch of government paper pushers)

Stretching your MOT out to two years used to be feasible as there was no central record that your car had a current certificate, or not as the case may be. That has changed with central MOT computerisation. If you try it now you stand a good chance of being nabbed by a police ANPR camera and they have started issuing endorsement points for it.

Pete