Miller Switch

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not if you renew online

I renew my tax online these days - very easy.

From memory you need to have at least 30 days MOT left to run when you renew the tax - the MOT and the insurance are checked electronically before they renew your tax, no 30 days and it tells you no go.

Stuart

Tom

I think that you will find that it is DVLA flogging your details to the clampers not VOSA ( a different bunch of government paper pushers)

Stretching your MOT out to two years used to be feasible as there was no central record that your car had a current certificate, or not as the case may be. That has changed with central MOT computerisation. If you try it now you stand a good chance of being nabbed by a police ANPR camera and they have started issuing endorsement points for it.

Pete

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Yes, DVLA. As you suggest, same racket, different name. Just as well I don't do it then. Did you know that ANPR cameras could read the bar code on your tax disc, unless the disc happens to be turned sideways on for easy examination by traffic wardens as the law requires?
Are you going to Italy again this year?
Tom

I think that you will find that it is DVLA flogging your details to the clampers not VOSA ( a different bunch of government paper pushers)

Stretching your MOT out to two years used to be feasible as there was no central record that your car had a current certificate, or not as the case may be. That has changed with central MOT computerisation. If you try it now you stand a good chance of being nabbed by a police ANPR camera and they have started issuing endorsement points for it.

Pete

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Italy

Are you going to Italy again this year?

Tom
I think that you are confusing me with my dad, John. He went to Italy last year and is planning to go the pretty way to get there this year. Unfortunately I have a proper job (despite spending my time on here when I should be working) so I wont be going:mad:

Pete

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Clampers?

Are clampers the folks who lock wheel immobilizers (Denver Boot in the US) to your car to encourage you to pay overdue fines and such?:eek:

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Clampers

Yes, in England. But not in Scotland, where a Sheriff (state attorney?) ruled that wheel-clamping was clearly extortion, and that therefore anyone who clamped a vehicle and demanded payment to free it was an extortionist, and liable to jail. Many of us wanted the death penalty, but, hell, clamping no longer exists in Scotland, so maybe liberals aren't always wrong........