Misc: Charging Systems Miller switch -the missing link(s)

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not an area I delve into very often but I have a Miller headlamp switch (the one with the CH position)
now I want to use that CH position for nefarious uses but when I actually look at the underside I see that my modern copy has position 3 and position 5 unoccupied, and I guess this is from new which suggests to me that they were employed for the prewar charging circuit that is not now required
looking at the central drum the contact strips appear to be still in a position that it could employ position 3 and 5 if the posts were there
Its not beyond my scope to drill and then rivet two more spring posts and contacts but
A. are any switches available that do still have these posts in situe?
0r
B. can you buy spare posts?
I suppose if the answer to both the above are no, then my only option is to search out a busted switch and hope a post from that can be re-riveted.
comments welcome

Little Honda

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Not an area I delve into very often but I have a Miller headlamp switch (the one with the CH position)
now I want to use that CH position for nefarious uses but when I actually look at the underside I see that my modern copy has position 3 and position 5 unoccupied, and I guess this is from new which suggests to me that they were employed for the prewar charging circuit that is not now required
looking at the central drum the contact strips appear to be still in a position that it could employ position 3 and 5 if the posts were there
Its not beyond my scope to drill and then rivet two more spring posts and contacts but
A. are any switches available that do still have these posts in situe?
0r
B. can you buy spare posts?
I suppose if the answer to both the above are no, then my only option is to search out a busted switch and hope a post from that can be re-riveted.
comments welcome
Vibrac,
I had the same problem with my chinese replica headlamp, complete with this switch. I checked and noted
every connection for each switch position with an ohmmeter, then did the same with an original switch and
transferred the wiring to the chinese item. The chinese headlamp cost only 70€ at ebay and works with no
fault since 5 years. The reflector was poor quality, but was later exchanged by a Lucas item, which fitted
nicely with some minor filing around the shell.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Vibrac
The replica switches made today don't have the extra pre war terminals fitted, but Bob Culver makes his own 4 position post war switches and so he may be a source of the terminals which you can then fit to your own switch.
Using the extra terminals lets you use the usually unused 1st position for all sorts of things like igntion switch for coil ignition, isolation switch for electric starter or power on for satnav etc.

Simon