Miller Regulator Covers

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Here's a little quandary for those who like to ponder Concours issues to the Nth degree.

Miller regulator covers come in 2 types, alloy and steel. See photo - the alloy one is on the right.

But note that, when the Miller logo is to the front, the little cut-outs for the wires to pass through are at different ends! Why? I'd like to fit the alloy one and save 50 grams ;-) ;-)

Regardless of this, which end did the wires stick out of the regulator on an original 1950 Twin? Left or right side when viewed from sitting on the bike?

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Attachments

• P1030564.jpg
    P1030564.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 52

A_HRD

VOC Member
Well, on the Twin, you can only see the logo if it faces forward. So if you love your Miller and you've spent a fortune getting an original, and you want people/judges to see the Miller logo - it needs to be forwards!!! No other reason - and I doubt that the factory really cared one iota about it! :)

But I'm still curious about which way the wires are supposed to poke out!

And yes, I know I need to get out more...

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Dinny

VOC Member
Good question, mine has the alloy one with Miller facing forwards, this allows the wires to exit out towards the Dynamo which would make more sense to me. I'm not sure the wires would be long enough to reach if the exit was on the primary side? This is the neat and obvious way but who knows. I would say the factory did not care which way the logo faced and just used what Miller supplied the same as they did with the headlights.

I mounted a modern regulator inside the original casing and it looks good with Miller visible. I'm sure we put more thought into rebuilding than the factory ever did building them to start with but have always worked on the principle, if I like it its good.

Cheers

Mark

A_HRD

VOC Member
Thanks, Len. But hmmm, artists license? Or can we trust it - like we can't with so many other facets of the MO sketches? Besides, that would only work for the alloy covers!

I guess we'll never know for sure...

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

1660bob

VOC Member
Peter, I have a really rough rat tail file you could borrow and put some more exit holes in the other end:D, Bob.

Black Flash

VOC Member
hello Peter,
I don't have a clue were the wires should be poking out. All I know is you have two covers and only need one.
So I take whichever one you will part with for free ;-))

Bernie

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Both of mine are steel, and the logo is on the opposite side compared to your steel one, relative to the cut outs. One of my Miller regulators is NOS in the box.

Last edited: