Miller No832 & No75.V. ammeter use on Vincents

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Martyn, Yes, I purchased 8BA brass screws off EbayUK, printed new face on paper on my laser printer. cut it out, laid over old face, put glass in, snapped on bezel.
Looks like I need to line it up better, but fairly easy work.
I think the overlay needs to be unattached to old face to allow for thermal expansion.
I think the 8BA were 7/16 or 1/2..........too long..........cut off with Dremel........just screwed directly into existing holes where old black screws came out.
Putting the revised gage directly on the scanner makes this photo look a little smashed......optical problem with scanners.
I might shortened the needle by bending the lower sections.
I also have old original Miller ammeters that have failed graphics. I will be fitting them with new graphics as well.
seems if you have a repro meter you should swap out the Philips head screws for cheeseheads. Martyn
NewLaserFaceForReproMiller.jpg

craig

VOC Member
here is what I made and cut outMetalFacePatternWithCutout.jpg

I need a good scan or photo of a lighthouse ammeter please, to do same pattern............I will publish for all to revise modern reproduction gages

Last edited:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Someone in the So Cal section, many years ago, had some artwork done up for the No 75 ammeter face. I've got one or two sheets around somewhere with, I think, 6 images per sheet. The background of the whole sheet is black, so I think the white lettering is the printed portion, not the black, actually, on second thought, the whole sheet of paper was photographic, and a mask was used to not expose the white portion. I have a busted ammeter, and I took the whole original face plate and swapped it over to a repro ammeter, so I haven't actually tried to use one of those old sheets. I think the sheets were made with a photographic process, not printed.

I did a similar faceplate trick years ago on a Volkswagen bug. The fuel gauge failed, and the replacement one had different graphics, so I swapped the faceplates.

craig

VOC Member
Posted my current pattern at thevincent.com ....under Comet details
Not perfect, but okay.
http://thevincent.com/CometMiller.html
Thanks Steve, please get us more detail, or send me a 600 dpi scan of one of the face plates.
More info on whether the graphic is still available.
Cheers
Craig

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Craig

I have posted on the photo section the graphics for the Miller 832 face which I used on my Series A. See:

miller4.jpg

http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/...oto/9868/title/miller-no-832-lighthou/cat/906

I got an online photo print company called Photobox to print some and they have not faded. The outside of the yellow background is 6" x 4" so if you get it printed as a 6 x 4 print which is a common size in the UK the actual face is exactly the right size.

The face came from a photograph I took of an original on my brothers series B Rapide, which I cleaned up on the computer and scaled to the correct size for printing. I have also used the same method to create the face for the Smiths 8 day clock used on Series A's.

If you send me your email in a private message through the forum I will send you the full size file for the Miller No.832 in return for the No.75 which I could do with.

Cheers
Simon.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Oops, sorry gents, it isn't the ammeter face, it is artwork for the VOC badge that I have some copies of. I have seen artwork for the ammeter, though, I will ask Bill Easter.

mike howard

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Mike H

A few years ago there was a white plastic card available with all the various Miller ameter faces printed on it including the lighthouse. I seem to remember the last time I saw them for sale was at the IOM International 1999 .No Idea who supplied them. Perhaps someone on this forum could remember.
Cheers.

vibrac

VOC Member
Was it also in "the vintage workshop" book or perhaps they were just pre war speedo faces

Rob H

VOC Member
A few years ago there was a white plastic card available with all the various Miller ameter faces printed on it including the lighthouse. I seem to remember the last time I saw them for sale was at the IOM International 1999 .No Idea who supplied them. Perhaps someone on this forum could remember.
Cheers.

I have seen these come up on ebay from time to time