Miller No832 & No75.V. ammeter use on Vincents

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am asking for help understanding the use of Miller ammeters on Vincent head lamps.
It appears the two model ammeters No75.V. and No832 were available pre war?
Was there a sequence of use, maybe No75V earlier, 832 later................and then they were combined in 1948 to a new model with both numbers?
This photo shows the three types I am familiar with.....plus the repro of today
832vs75MillerAmmeter.jpg

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Be careful of some of the repros. The body is too deep and fouls the headlamp reflector. Last new one I bought came in a Domiracer box and that was OK.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I could probably be wrong, but No 75 V was the whole lighting system, and 832 was the ammeter, I think! Dim memories from a 1947 MSS Velocette- my first "bike.Do you want a couple of new K.L.G. FE 70 "Corundite" plugs?

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Lodge RL51 Now there was a good looking racing plug all pink ceramic and steel grey

craig

VOC Member
So there are no historical experts as to when these ammeters were used?
I thought "lighthouse Miller" was pre war, and might be found on Series A models?
But I here tales of Lighthouse Miller badged tail lamps found on 1946 models.
Maybe using up pre war inventory?
Any photos of 1946 or 1947 Vincent to show these details?
Cheers, Craig
832vs75MillerAmmeter.jpg

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
As far as I know, yes the lighthouse Miller ammeter was used on series A singles. They were not used on the series A twins though as they used Lucas electrics and not Miller. The No.75 ammeter was used on post war Vincents. There may have been some lighthouse type used, but I don't know.

The No.832 ammeters were used on Velos from the late 1950's through to the 1960's. I think they came out to late for Vincents. Please don't take this as absolutely correct though.

craig

VOC Member
Miller ammeter number 74E , or that is what I see.
Where is the Miller catalog? for pre war sales?

Ammeter%2B6-6amp039.jpg

Rob H

VOC Member
I have an early 49 C and was trying to find out which type would have been fitted. My understanding is as noted that the lighthouse type were pre war. I eventually settled on the intermediate pattern along with the square section knob on the lightswtich which I understand were both used on B's. I was not able to find any definative information on when the change to the postwar diamond logo type ammeter was made but assume it was some time in the early 50's. Also not sure when the change to the fluted knob was made.

Dinny

VOC Member
For what it's worth, my jan 49 B has a lighthouse ammeter and my later C has the no 75. I have always assumed they were correct but who really knows. Both are original parts not repo's.