• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Miller No832 & No75.V. ammeter use on Vincents

craig

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I am asking for help understanding the use of Miller ammeters on Vincent head lamps.
It appears the two model ammeters No75.V. and No832 were available pre war?
Was there a sequence of use, maybe No75V earlier, 832 later................and then they were combined in 1948 to a new model with both numbers?
This photo shows the three types I am familiar with.....plus the repro of today

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Be careful of some of the repros. The body is too deep and fouls the headlamp reflector. Last new one I bought came in a Domiracer box and that was OK.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I could probably be wrong, but No 75 V was the whole lighting system, and 832 was the ammeter, I think! Dim memories from a 1947 MSS Velocette- my first "bike.Do you want a couple of new K.L.G. FE 70 "Corundite" plugs?

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Lodge RL51 Now there was a good looking racing plug all pink ceramic and steel grey

craig

VOC Member
So there are no historical experts as to when these ammeters were used?
I thought "lighthouse Miller" was pre war, and might be found on Series A models?
But I here tales of Lighthouse Miller badged tail lamps found on 1946 models.
Maybe using up pre war inventory?
Any photos of 1946 or 1947 Vincent to show these details?
Cheers, Craig

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
As far as I know, yes the lighthouse Miller ammeter was used on series A singles. They were not used on the series A twins though as they used Lucas electrics and not Miller. The No.75 ammeter was used on post war Vincents. There may have been some lighthouse type used, but I don't know.

The No.832 ammeters were used on Velos from the late 1950's through to the 1960's. I think they came out to late for Vincents. Please don't take this as absolutely correct though.

MartynG

VOC Member
seems if you have a repro meter you should swap out the Philips head screws for cheeseheads. Martyn

craig

VOC Member
Miller ammeter number 74E , or that is what I see.
Where is the Miller catalog? for pre war sales?

Rob H

VOC Member
I have an early 49 C and was trying to find out which type would have been fitted. My understanding is as noted that the lighthouse type were pre war. I eventually settled on the intermediate pattern along with the square section knob on the lightswtich which I understand were both used on B's. I was not able to find any definative information on when the change to the postwar diamond logo type ammeter was made but assume it was some time in the early 50's. Also not sure when the change to the fluted knob was made.

Dinny

VOC Member
For what it's worth, my jan 49 B has a lighthouse ammeter and my later C has the no 75. I have always assumed they were correct but who really knows. Both are original parts not repo's.

craig

VOC Member
Hi Martyn, Yes, I purchased 8BA brass screws off EbayUK, printed new face on paper on my laser printer. cut it out, laid over old face, put glass in, snapped on bezel.
Looks like I need to line it up better, but fairly easy work.
I think the overlay needs to be unattached to old face to allow for thermal expansion.
I think the 8BA were 7/16 or 1/2..........too long..........cut off with Dremel........just screwed directly into existing holes where old black screws came out.
Putting the revised gage directly on the scanner makes this photo look a little smashed......optical problem with scanners.
I might shortened the needle by bending the lower sections.
I also have old original Miller ammeters that have failed graphics. I will be fitting them with new graphics as well.
seems if you have a repro meter you should swap out the Philips head screws for cheeseheads. Martyn

craig

VOC Member
here is what I made and cut outMetalFacePatternWithCutout.jpg

I need a good scan or photo of a lighthouse ammeter please, to do same pattern............I will publish for all to revise modern reproduction gages

Last edited:

TouringComet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Someone in the So Cal section, many years ago, had some artwork done up for the No 75 ammeter face. I've got one or two sheets around somewhere with, I think, 6 images per sheet. The background of the whole sheet is black, so I think the white lettering is the printed portion, not the black, actually, on second thought, the whole sheet of paper was photographic, and a mask was used to not expose the white portion. I have a busted ammeter, and I took the whole original face plate and swapped it over to a repro ammeter, so I haven't actually tried to use one of those old sheets. I think the sheets were made with a photographic process, not printed.

I did a similar faceplate trick years ago on a Volkswagen bug. The fuel gauge failed, and the replacement one had different graphics, so I swapped the faceplates.

craig

VOC Member
Posted my current pattern at thevincent.com ....under Comet details
Not perfect, but okay.
http://thevincent.com/CometMiller.html
Thanks Steve, please get us more detail, or send me a 600 dpi scan of one of the face plates.
More info on whether the graphic is still available.
Cheers
Craig

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Craig

I have posted on the photo section the graphics for the Miller 832 face which I used on my Series A. See:

miller4.jpg

http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/...oto/9868/title/miller-no-832-lighthou/cat/906

I got an online photo print company called Photobox to print some and they have not faded. The outside of the yellow background is 6" x 4" so if you get it printed as a 6 x 4 print which is a common size in the UK the actual face is exactly the right size.

The face came from a photograph I took of an original on my brothers series B Rapide, which I cleaned up on the computer and scaled to the correct size for printing. I have also used the same method to create the face for the Smiths 8 day clock used on Series A's.

If you send me your email in a private message through the forum I will send you the full size file for the Miller No.832 in return for the No.75 which I could do with.

Cheers
Simon.

TouringComet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Oops, sorry gents, it isn't the ammeter face, it is artwork for the VOC badge that I have some copies of. I have seen artwork for the ammeter, though, I will ask Bill Easter.

mike howard

New Website User
VOC Member
Mike H

A few years ago there was a white plastic card available with all the various Miller ameter faces printed on it including the lighthouse. I seem to remember the last time I saw them for sale was at the IOM International 1999 .No Idea who supplied them. Perhaps someone on this forum could remember.
Cheers.

vibrac

VOC Member
Was it also in "the vintage workshop" book or perhaps they were just pre war speedo faces

Rob H

VOC Member
A few years ago there was a white plastic card available with all the various Miller ameter faces printed on it including the lighthouse. I seem to remember the last time I saw them for sale was at the IOM International 1999 .No Idea who supplied them. Perhaps someone on this forum could remember.
Cheers.

I have seen these come up on ebay from time to time

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?