Misc: Electrical (General) Miller Lighting on a 1947 Rapide

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So what type/model/manufacturer supplied brake light switches for 1938/39 Series A models? If singles used Miller equipment and Twins used Lucas was there a common brake light switch supplier? After trying to find the correct tail light for a Series A single, it seems none had a brake light.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
So what type/model/manufacturer supplied brake light switches for 1938/39 Series A models? If singles used Miller equipment and Twins used Lucas was there a common brake light switch supplier? After trying to find the correct tail light for a Series A single, it seems none had a brake light.

As far as I know, there was no brake light and switch fitted to series A. At the time it was not a legal requirement in the UK, but it is now if you have lights fitted.
The original Miller rear light that I borrowed to copy could only take a single filament bulb, but the one I made was modified for a brake light. The switch was fitted under the front of the rfm operating off a cam I fitted to the brake cross shaft. That was so the switch is hidden.

sidmadrid

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The brake light law came out in the sixties, but they made it retrospective to vehicles manufactured after 1936.
So your 1950's Vincent had to be fitted with a rear brake activated brake light for its MOT test in the sixties.