Misc: Electrical (General) Miller Lighting on a 1947 Rapide

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A large square plate on headlight indicates a trade plate so was possibly a prototype or test mule. The position of the choke levers indicate there was a fitting problem and this does look wrong in so many respects. To try and get the horn and dip switch within thumb's reach has led to the valve lifter and chokes being moved inboard. Can't see the curve of the front brake cable which would have fed to the RH brake. One of the problems of trying to restore a "correct" bike is a picture like this :-( No problem with the damper knob; like the side damper knob they were Bakelite and while they should have been fairly black, some were a very dark brown due to the process. Black shoe polish works wonders. I am only guessing here but I reckon the production machines would have been tidier than this in the handlebars area. It looks naff and not in keeping with the fastest and most expensive motorcycle of the time. Finally a lot of photos of the time went to the 1940s equivalent of "Photoshop®" before they were published.

craig

VOC Member
I value your input, but in fact this is exactly how the early B Rapides (1946/47) were issued to the detail. This photo is not a special test anomaly or photo shop. I dont agree that it is untidy. The curved front brake cable is visable. This configuration was revised during the first 500 early Rapides and this configuration does appear to be a carry over from the late A series Vincent. I am not sure why the chokes are full on.
The early B Rapide tank striping appears to be a carry over of the A series pattern as well, but does not seem to have been issued to more than a couple dozen Rapides.
It would be nice to see more period photos for 1947 and 48.

craig

VOC Member
Miller D9S dynamo

I need help with early Rapide Miller 3½" D9S dynamo details. Parts and explanation required.
This D9S uses two plug ins, Is this supposed to be a double split pin plug?
Where can i obtain this double plug or even two singles?
MillerTerminalSplitPlug.jpg

MillerSplitPin2.jpg
Also the tubular insulation sleeves that appear to go over these female sockets on the dynamo.
Cheers
Craig

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Here is a photo of what i mean - double Miller plug - from website magnetoguys.co.uk
I dont think this is a D9S, but sure looks similar
4d97a10a22b4003d4cd59a17c001372a.JPG

Robert Watson

VOC Member
The Brampton knobs were bakelite, alloy ones are most likely retro fitted, although I'm sure some one has an "original" with alloy knobs!

vibrac

VOC Member
Good stuff init?, fancy getting all that Miller stuff back into working order, what dedication!, one warning.dont try and depend on it at night.... :)

A_HRD

VOC Member
Well I have always used Miller D6 dynamo's on my Vins (and Lucas mags). And that includes daylight riding on the Continent and night riding as required - for the last 44 years - and never been let down. It all depends on how you put 'em together - and then how you maintain them thereafter. But I do admit to using electronic regulators and not that awful cartridge thingy!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Double Plug

And in an effort to answer Craig's question, there was a guy about 3 years ago advertising the double plugs on UK ebay. I bought one for my D9S. He was from the Rudge Club - apparently they used them in some application. That might be a useful line of enquiry for you....

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

vibrac

VOC Member
Well I have always used Miller D6 dynamo's on my Vins (and Lucas mags). And that includes daylight riding on the Continent and night riding as required - for the last 44 years - and never been let down. It all depends on how you put 'em together - and then how you maintain them thereafter. But I do admit to using electronic regulators and not that awful cartridge thingy!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Yes and original Byrant and May matchsticks in the original box for resetting Lucas regulators are difficult to find as well....