miller headlamp switch fit........

1660bob

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All, This week I`ve been mostly fitting out my newly painted `C`headlamp shell.
No problems with the ammeter fit , straightforward enough, but the Miller headlamp switch, a nice thing in itself,is a lousy fit in the shell-what a weary affair it seems.
The shell has four notches around the switch hole, presumably for the switch to locate in so that it does not turn in the shell when the switch is operated, but the lower half of the switch has no corresponding lugs to enter said notches, its just a loose fit in the hole.So I look to the switch top cover for locating lugs and see two- one around the base of each of the retaining studs.I assume these should engage with the notches in the shell, but they are not nearly big enough and do not do their job at all.It is as if the switch top has shrunk ????.The shell is in good nick, and the notches are pronounced enough.
The chrome bezel is so sloppy a fit on the switch that it really does not fit at all,just sort of hangs vaguely around to get trapped in between when the switch is tightened up and looks likely to short out the electrical terminals if it slips sideways, which it is plenty loose enough to do.
Am I missing a part here?, I have the switch top and bottom, and the chrome bezel, and that`s it.Any pearls of wisdom appreciated, Thanks,Bob

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Hi All, This week I`ve been mostly fitting out my newly painted `C`headlamp shell.
No problems with the ammeter fit , straightforward enough, but the Miller headlamp switch, a nice thing in itself,is a lousy fit in the shell-what a weary affair it seems.
The shell has four notches around the switch hole, presumably for the switch to locate in so that it does not turn in the shell when the switch is operated, but the lower half of the switch has no corresponding lugs to enter said notches, its just a loose fit in the hole.So I look to the switch top cover for locating lugs and see two- one around the base of each of the retaining studs.I assume these should engage with the notches in the shell, but they are not nearly big enough and do not do their job at all.It is as if the switch top has shrunk ????.The shell is in good nick, and the notches are pronounced enough.
The chrome bezel is so sloppy a fit on the switch that it really does not fit at all,just sort of hangs vaguely around to get trapped in between when the switch is tightened up and looks likely to short out the electrical terminals if it slips sideways, which it is plenty loose enough to do.
Am I missing a part here?, I have the switch top and bottom, and the chrome bezel, and that`s it.Any pearls of wisdom appreciated, Thanks,Bob

Not normally a problem Bob. You are right about the location of the switch. It's the upper half that should prevent the switch from turning in the shell. The lugs alongside the studs should also engage in the notches in the lower part of the switch. The chrome bezel is simply sandwitched under the top part and nowhere near the terminals. As you say, the Miller switch is a good piece of kit-far superior than Lucas.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
I seem to remember there being a rubber O ring sandwiched in between , quite thin . Tho is that around the Ammeter body ? Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

craig

VOC Member
Last edited: