Miller D6 Dynamo/Lucas Regulator Wiring

Pharquarx

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Spent the weekend installing the new wiring loom that I got from VOC Spares on my 1950 Comet. The fit is excellent and even though the wiring diagrams and instructions and the references that I have (Richardson, Riders Handbook, et al) seem to be contradictory, I think I figured out this MES (Mysterious Electrical Stuff), at least for the front of the bike.

When it comes to the Miller D6 Dynamo and the Lucas Regulator, I am not so sure. The Dynamo has two terminals under the end cover, labeled D and F, not three as shown on the wiring diagram in the references. I wired these two outputs to the D and F terminals respectively on the Lucas Regulator. On the Lucas Regulator, there are four terminals, labeled D, F, A, and E. D and F we discussed previously, E I assume is for ground (earth) and A is, I am assuming the output from the regulator to the bike's electrical system. This is consistent with the home made loom that I removed.

Am I ok with this?

Thanks,
Charlie

john998

VOC Member
Hello,
Yes that sounds good. I take that the Miller dynamo has been converted to Lucas, a very good mod. Regards John.

Pharquarx

Non-VOC Member
Ok, this is what I found, and firstly, thanks for the posted and private message inputs, you guys are great. The Miller dynamo has been converted for the Lucas Regulator, glad to hear that is a modification in the right direction. In "Know Thy Beast", way back in the back of the book in Appendix IV, the answer is, under paragraph 18. I will now refer to this as MBES (Mysterious British Electrical Stuff).
Looks like I have done it right, will fire it up in about two weeks and onto the California roads in this beautiful weather we are having.
Thanks again.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
If I may be so bold...
When you get it working properly..start saving up for an Alton..I converted my Miller and purchased a JG unit 25 years ago...and since then I have purchased and used a number of conversion units with varying degrees of success... Recently I realised that over the last 25 years I have not had one riding season where the lights worked for the entire season. I will be the very first to state that electrics confound me and that most of my problems are self-inflicted...but the simple facts are that we are dealing with equipment that was at its best 55-60 years ago...Technology has come a long way. The Alton is magnificent kit and its reputation is stellar.

Pharquarx

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for your input, however, I am not familiar with an Alton. Please expand on this, I am very interested.

lindie

Non-VOC Member
If I may be so bold...
When you get it working properly..start saving up for an Alton..I converted my Miller and purchased a JG unit 25 years ago...and since then I have purchased and used a number of conversion units with varying degrees of success... Recently I realised that over the last 25 years I have not had one riding season where the lights worked for the entire season. I will be the very first to state that electrics confound me and that most of my problems are self-inflicted...but the simple facts are that we are dealing with equipment that was at its best 55-60 years ago...Technology has come a long way. The Alton is magnificent kit and its reputation is stellar.

out of interest, do the altons or mcdouglators come in a form also applicable to my 3.5 inch dynamo 49 model cases or am i stuck with a eccentric sleeve cradle as the mounting option?

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
The Alton is a 12v alternator...90 watts...I like the "look" of the unit which is very very similar to a Lucas or a Miller...They are not cheap...but they do work..There are a number of 12v alternator units out there..VOC spares sells the Alton..