Miller Ammeters

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Anyone know how to tell an original from a copy Miller Ammeter. I noticed on mine that the direction of charge and discharge seem to be opposite of others I have seen.

Also I have read that there were three different examples of ammeters used can anyone show/explain the differences between them and approximately when they were used. What would be the correct version for a 49 model. IMG_0884.jpg

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Anyone know how to tell an original from a copy Miller Ammeter. I noticed on mine that the direction of charge and discharge seem to be opposite of others I have seen.

Also I have read that there were three different examples of ammeters used can anyone show/explain the differences between them and approximately when they were used. What would be the correct version for a 49 model.View attachment 1026
Difficult to be precise but early versions carried an inscription "controlled battery charging voltage regulated system". Some pattern ones have metal bodies that are deeper than a genuine one. This can cause problems because they foul the headlamp reflector. I had one where the scale read 12-0-12 instead of the usual 8-0-8. I wonder what that was intended for?

Rob H

VOC Member
Difficult to be precise but early versions carried an inscription "controlled battery charging voltage regulated system". Some pattern ones have metal bodies that are deeper than a genuine one. This can cause problems because they foul the headlamp reflector. I had one where the scale read 12-0-12 instead of the usual 8-0-8. I wonder what that was intended for?

Hi Len,
thanks for the reply, on asking around also looks like this is the type that should be fitted to the bike.
Don't suppose you have one lying around that you don't need!