Miller Ammeter

SteveF

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Well, dear me, not paying attention am I. Rob has clearly already explained that and his maths is right whereas mine isn't. I'll have to try harder...

So, I grabbed one of my kids toy magnets and waved it about next to my ammeter and that caused the needle to flap about.
Give that a try if you have something similar. If the needle moves it's probably the coils that are the problem.

You could try putting an old fashioned compass next to the ammeter and see if it waves about when you test again.
If the compass moves then it's possibly the pointer I haven't tried this so I don't know how well it might work or if this test is just too sensitive to be helpful.

I think the pointer should have a magnet on it somewhere, although it's so long ago I took mine to bits I can't remember where.
Anyone else know? Maybe that's fallen off.

Cheers - Steve

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think the pointer should have a magnet on it somewhere, although it's so long ago I took mine to bits I can't remember where.
Anyone else know? Maybe that's fallen off.

Cheers - Steve[/QUOTE]

Yes the magnet would be attached to the end of the pointer and would run in the centre of the coil.
Sounds like maybe a problem with coil insulation as mentioned.
I assume it was a high wattage bulb you were using?
Have you read this?
https://www.voc.uk.com/net/docs/tl/millerammeter.pdf

If it is the insulation on the coil don't think it is an easy job to fix, better to salvage scrap parts from a cheap well worn or damaged one
R