Mikuni question

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've had Mikunis on the Shadow for years now. I took off the enricher lever that was there originally and made up some cables and fittings to use the dual choke levers on the handlebars. I was wondering what the majority of forum members with Mikunis have done.
Thanks
Steven

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My own experience of over 30,000 miles with Mikuni Carburetors is that I found the enrichment levers to be adequate for year round riding. It is also good that I don't have to accommodate another set of control cables.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I bought exactly the same thing. I found the brass piece in the middle between the spring and the nut to restrict movement because it caused the spring to become coil bound. When the plunger lifts from the floor of the chamber to uncover the port it can't move far enough to uncover the port into mixing chamber. I had to make a new one, much taller, that allowed more movement. I've been considering returning to the original side mounted lever as once my Shadow starts I can close the enrichers down almost immediately.
Steven

vibrac

VOC Member
Give me a few weeks away from the cooking Comet and I sit there ready to start wondering is the Mikuni lever up or down for choke? and yet with a record number of my bikes on the road with left change right change and down for down or up for down I never miss with the Comet gearchange direction.... why is that?