Misc: Everything Else Mikuni Fuel Pipe Routing

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
You could always do what the late Ian Palmer did.

Get 2 tanks, cut the bottom out of 1 and the top out of the other, weld them together and you end up with a 5 gallon tank. (the Indian tanks would be suitable for this)

Just so happens I have an Indian tank on the shelf, it is easier to fit than the original but feels a lot heavier, probably bigger gauge steel.
Cheers
Dave

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Somebody who is more clever than I (Nigel) can tell you the different flow rates of these two taps.
20200807_080151.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I would not think you need a big one, If you think of the size of the main jet.
When I was doing speed events, I had problems getting the petrol through the float valve,
Even with 36 mm Dellortos, I had to fit the valves out of the 40 mm carb'.
And with gardners I didn't use a float at all !, Just the pipe from the tank.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
I got my petcocks from a local
supplier, British Isles Motorcycles. They were not cheap. They do not leak. Been on the bike for 18 years.
Steadfast Cycles may have them. They list on Ebay. Ask about size before acquiring.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Every Vincent comes with a fuel gauge. When you fill up with fuel, reset the trip odometer.

This is a habit I got almost from the start of having one, pointed out to me by one Mr Smith. I have run out of fuel on the odd occasion, but that has been usually from knowing I am on the limit, going onto one cylinder, reaching for the reserve (RH tap) to find I have left it open.

On other occasions I have been aware that the conditions were going to distort the mileage. Montana comes to mind, two up and fully loaded going west on Hwy 20 pushing a 40+ mph headwind. My big tank which easily runs 200 miles couldn't make 150. A very long and tiring day that was! Coming back from Denny Delzer's NA rally in Bismark ND

b'knighted

VOC Member
I thought I was being clever fitting taps with a reserve both sides because I'd read a thread where the chap had only got about 8 miles out of the right tap.
Also wanted to have both open because I'd seen another thread where it was suggested that you could get fuel starvation so needed both open.
Now I'm wondering if I could remove the fuel tube from my left tap, especially as B'knighted said not all the fuel would be available, and leave the reserve tube on the right tap so I could run with both open & maybe a bigger reserve.
Cheers
Dave
If you mean that you fitted three position taps giving off/main/reserve on each side you would have a greater reserve but a restricted fuel flow as both main feeds would be partially blocked by the weir tubes. If you fitted Triumph type off/main fuel taps with a weir tube each side you would run out of usable fuel while both sides had an inaccessible reserve. If you use a weir tube on the left but not on the right you will have an increased reserve but will not be able to access the fuel on the left of the tunnel, about as much as standard reserve, unless you lay the bike over to the right after reserve has run dry.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
If you mean that you fitted three position taps giving off/main/reserve on each side you would have a greater reserve but a restricted fuel flow as both main feeds would be partially blocked by the weir tubes. If you fitted Triumph type off/main fuel taps with a weir tube each side you would run out of usable fuel while both sides had an inaccessible reserve. If you use a weir tube on the left but not on the right you will have an increased reserve but will not be able to access the fuel on the left of the tunnel, about as much as standard reserve, unless you lay the bike over to the right after reserve has run dry.

Thanks for the info.
Must admit I`m struggling to get my head around why the reserve tap would mean that the fuel left in each side of he tank was inaccessable, can`t help being a numbnut !
I had thought each side of the tank ended up being seperated once the fuel level dropped below the oil tank tunnel.
The main bike we run is a BMW R1150GS that I fitted a 33 litre Adventure tank to, I know it`s fuel injected, but to even the fuel level out it has a link pipe joining the lower lobes of the tank otherwise you`d only have the fuel in the pump side available.
Cheers
Dave

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
As Numbnut 2 :D , I am not sure how the reserve works, I just saw the stand pipe in the shop and panicked !.
If you ran on reserve all the time would that be OK ??.
As Ian says there is not a lot in the other side, So if you have to turn the other tap on,
You are in the smelly stuff in a VERY ! few miles.
The other thing is maybe saw the stand pipe off and resolder the filter ??.
I think I will buy a BMW :D, I do miss my K100, Don't know why, It had much too much Vibration at 70/80,
And I would not go over 100 because I thought it was dangerous without a steering damper.