Misc: Everything Else Mikuni Fuel Pipe Routing

Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Norman,
Very well explained, but I still can`t understand why I can`t run both taps with a reserve or would that mean I`d just be having a very limited time on the "On" position ?
I`ve always used my trip meter to know when to refill even on bikes with a fuel gauge & warning light so probably wouldn`t rely on the Reseve too much in reality.
Probably answered my on question there, shouldn`t try to overcomplicate things.
Think Robert said just use the trip meter earlier.
Cheers
Dave
Dave, Are you talking about three position taps or ones that are just on and off?

timetraveller

VOC Member
Dave, you could run both taps with reserves but all that means is that you would have to go on to reserve earlier as you would still have, say, two inches of fuel left each side. My question is, is that what you want? It would mean that you have to fill up more often but the good thing would be that when you did go on to reserve, both sides, you would then have a longer range before you finally ran out. Most of us do not need to run with more than one tap on. Racing is different.

b'knighted

VOC Member
With on/ off taps with weir tubes on both sides you cannot drain any of the fuel below the tops of the tubes. With only one wier tube the reserve tap can drain the whole of the reserve side but not the fuel around the weir tube above the UFM tunnel. Three position taps let you run the tank dry on reserve position but possibly need both taps open to allow sufficient flow.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Dave, Are you talking about three position taps or ones that are just on and off?

Yes, three position taps, thought I was being clever but should have known better !
I`ll get it right one day, hopefully :)
Cheers
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Dave, you could run both taps with reserves but all that means is that you would have to go on to reserve earlier as you would still have, say, two inches of fuel left each side. My question is, is that what you want? It would mean that you have to fill up more often but the good thing would be that when you did go on to reserve, both sides, you would then have a longer range before you finally ran out. Most of us do not need to run with more than one tap on. Racing is different.

Norman,
As in my reply above, thought I was being clever.
Had read in a previous thread that I`d need to run with both taps open to avoid fuel starvation & another thread said that they`d only got 8-10 miles on reserve which I thought was cutting it fine.
Think I`ll just trust the trip meter & maybe carry a can. :)
Cheers
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
With on/ off taps with weir tubes on both sides you cannot drain any of the fuel below the tops of the tubes. With only one wier tube the reserve tap can drain the whole of the reserve side but not the fuel around the weir tube above the UFM tunnel. Three position taps let you run the tank dry on reserve position but possibly need both taps open to allow sufficient flow.

Thanks for that,
I`m slowly getting my head around it, I`m not usually this thick, honestly.
Cheers
Dave

b'knighted

VOC Member
Thanks for that,
I`m slowly getting my head around it, I`m not usually this thick, honestly.
Cheers
Dave
With the three position taps, you started out correct. Run with both on main, it won't use any more petrol than it needs but it'll have a smaller main with a bigger reserve which you can access as two separate reserves. Once you are using the first reserve you can ride more gently to increase range but when that runs out you know that you are down to a standard short range reserve. The D's have a smaller UFM, so a smaller tunnel giving the smallest reserve and I reckon that my right hand reserve was good for about 6 miles. I always carry a gallon in a pannier on the Knight.