Mike Hawthorne Gedinne 2017

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Looking at the Grey Flash at 10s, it looks like a Triumph Slickshift gearbox. Does the Triumph box go easily into Comet? If it does, it might be a good way round the Burman problem, and is widely available with many different ratio sets - including 5 speed.
Paul

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Yes that's definitely a Triumph slickshift box, it has had a portion of the kickstart area cut off and blanked though which in a full box may interfere with the RFM pivot spindle. I think Tim and Ben use the same box in their Egli.

davidd

VOC Member
Paul,

I think the Triumph box is a good choice. Here is Lindsy Kyle's racer:

026.JPG

Pat_102.jpg

David

highbury731

VOC Member
The horizontal Norton box is not the right choice. The AMC box for Matchless and AJS was designed to fit in place of the Burman, and as it's angled forwards, it gives more clearance between positive stop mechanism and timing chest than an AMC-Norton. The k/s is mounted further forward than on a Triumph box, so can be retained without interfering with the RFM pivot

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes that's definitely a Triumph slickshift box, it has had a portion of the kickstart area cut off and blanked though which in a full box may interfere with the RFM pivot spindle. I think Tim and Ben use the same box in their Egli.
No no foreign boxes allowed in UK vintage racing and as of now no Vincent solos either

davidd

VOC Member
Lindsay won 4 races, two at Barber and two at Daytona. The gear box and 1-1/2" GP carb were not legal, but visitors from afar rarely are protested for rule violations. Gear boxes must be original or original replicas. Carbs must be the same or you are limited in size to 32 mm. The boxes would certainly work on the street assuming the fit and the KS issues can be managed.

David