Migration of oil

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Surely you can strip gearbox and clean the inside enough to put some kind of sealer over the joint in an effort to see if the fatefull day can be put off a few more years.
Maybe i got the migration the wrong way round, but that is what my mate did..john

Albervin

VOC Member
Surely you can strip gearbox and clean the inside enough to put some kind of sealer over the joint in an effort to see if the fatefull day can be put off a few more years.
That was suggested to me by Terry Prince also. I am the sort of guy who likes to "fix" things. Several reasons for this; I am semi retired (closer to retired than semi) and so cost, while not cheap, will be less than in 5 years, also, the peace of mind it gives knowing I will not be depending on a bodge. I think it will also be a good opportunity to check over the whole engine while it is apart. Terry said he actually did this fix many years ago on his bike and it lasted until he turned his road bike into a racer. I contend that Terry's skills are on another planet compared to mine when it comes to Vincents

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Well at least it's coming on winter at your end of the world. What cost !! other than gaskets and seals it might not cost anything unless your'e considering a full renovation.

Albervin

VOC Member
Unfortunately this is the best time of the year to ride, not too hot and not too humid. You are right about cost though, a few seals and gaskets should get the job done unless I find a surprise inside. Luckily I have a friend who has just pulled his D Shadow to pieces and put it back together again, to assist me in doing a similar job. Actually, I will be assisting him.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
The only things "inside" the crankcases are the crank, bearings and cam spindles really, everything else is accessable from outside.
Personally I would "bodge" it until it was convienient to do, it's not broken it's just an oil leak.
Chris.

Albervin

VOC Member
The problem with a bodge is that if it failed when I was 600 miles from home I would have to take oil out of the UFM and pour it back into the gearbox several times. Getting into the gearbox and creating an oil free area to apply epoxy is not exactly straightforward either. No, a bodge is OK to get me back home but as the bike is in the shed, I have 6 other bikes I can use, a friend is prepared to help then it is a proper fix. I will use the opportunity to fit the 8" headlight sitting in a box, replace a couple of push rod seals, check valves, guides etc, maybe fit my new Brampton forks and then blissfully change oil and filters for the next 14 years. I appreciate everyone's input on this.

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
It’s in your annotation Albervin, “ from the beautiful Illawarra “

Sorry Albervin, whatever key I must have struck on the keyboard deleted most of my post, it should have read

" I was in your area a few weeks ago, wonderful riding roads very light traffic and beautiful weather. You should be coming into some fine riding at this time of year"

Chrish