Metallurgy

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I think I know part of the answer, but to confirm and hopefully get some additional info, here goes.

Walking around Dublin, and many other European cities as we travel around, I have noticed numerous metal covers, manhole covers and various utility covers, all different shapes and sizes and foundry names, and quite often, I see EN126 and B125 cast in to the covers. Those are both codes specifying the material, correct? A few also have D400, is that another equivalent code for the material? Are these covers cast iron or a particular type of steel?

vibrac

VOC Member
B125 is a sub class of a British Standard
Group 2 – minimum Class B125
Access covers and gratings capable of withstanding a 12.5 tonnes test load. For use in car parks and
pedestrian areas where only occasional vehicular access is likely.
(so only very indirectly material)
D400 is perhaps a maufacturers designation
EN126 I have no idea the only standard is something to do with gas fires I dont think its anything to do with EN steel numbers which are a sub set of another B standard

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Sorry, correction, it is EN 124. I remembered the EN and B numbers were 1 digit apart, but got the order wrong.

vibrac

VOC Member
No just another BS
Gully tops and manhole tops for vehicular and pedestrian areas
again its nothing about actual materials they are made of (which may of course be specified within the standard)

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
What if the resulting cavity were in the path of a politician?... Dangerous, yes..but would it still be stupid?