Metal Profile Forks on Slater Egli

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Retirement means I finally (after 41 years) have time to spend on the Egli, bought from Slater's in 1974 with Metal Profile forks and Laverda 750 SF drum brake.

I'm in the process of stripping the forks, mainly to clean the insides and check bushes, seals etc, but I'm not in a rush this time and I'm asking "why" more often than I used to, and something doesn't seem right. The wheel has always been a tight fit between the fork sliders, but looking closely, the wheel was never designed to be restricted by both fork legs, so I took some measurements and the wheel hub is 130 mm wide, but the distance between the sliders is only 125 mm !!

I'm sure there must be more Eglis out there with this front arrangement, has anyone else found this anomaly?

I feel a trip to the machine shop coming on.

H

mercurycrest

VOC Member
The wheel has always been a tight fit between the fork sliders, but looking closely, the wheel was never designed to be restricted by both fork legs, so I took some measurements and the wheel hub is 130 mm wide, but the distance between the sliders is only 125 mm !!

I'm sure there must be more Eglis out there with this front arrangement, has anyone else found this anomaly?

I feel a trip to the machine shop coming on.

H

You're lucky Howard.... I had to loose 1" on mine with Redwing forks and a 4ls Suzuki front wheel!

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
I had these forks on my first Slater Egli I remember I had to remove the mudguard bolts before I could remove the wheel because the tyre sidewalls would not pass the bolts my wheel was a Robinson 4 leading shoe but I have the original sales leaflet it says
"Metal profile forks specially made for Egli Vincent £35.0.0"
wheels offered are
Robinson front hub magnesium 9" £44 8" £40 (what a load of C**p that was)
N

vibrac

VOC Member
(Sorry hit wrong key)
Norton front wheel £30
so a Norton front wheel certainly fits and was offered

Howard

VOC Member
Ah yes the mudguard bolts - I've used smaller and smaller heads over the years, but still struggle to get a modern tyre past them.

Just because it was offered, doesn't mean it fits (like the Laverda brake).

H

davidd

VOC Member
Howard,

I sent you an email at home as I know someone who just rebuilt his MP's with a Laverda brake.

David

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
My early Egli has Metal Profiles forks and a Grimeca 4LS brake which I believe was from a production bike as it has a speedo drive facility. Is it the same as a Laverda brake?
When I had 110/80/18 Avon I had to remove the bolts to get the wheel out but now I have 100/80/18 Metzeler it just clears.
I am not aware that the brake had to be modified to fit but it was on the bike when I bought it so who knows?
I believe you can get Metal Profiles spares from the man who now makes Greeves motorcycles just outside Chelmsford, Essex.
Bill