Metal in the oil...hmmmm!

Panama

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
After reading the threads about cleaning the UFM, I decided to do a quick check on my 1952 Touring Rapide. I inserted a bit of wire into the oil filler neck and guided to the rear of the ufm to collect a sample of what might be hiding there. I was pleased to see that there were no gelatinous blobs or such, but the oil was quite black and in the sunlight, it appeared a little like metalic paint. I brought a strong magnet near the sample and it pulled up little strings of oil. This would indicate the presence of very fine bits of ferrous metal. I have heard that engines equipped with ball and roller bearings shed metal and that it is not a cause for worry.

What is the concensus of this learned body?

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I use a screen and magnet sold by Zippers. It is not listed in the catalog, but I can provide the number if someone is interested. It is nice because it is an in-line filter, so you can just cut the hose and install. I have mentioned this with photos in the Egli Section of MPH a few years back. I use it in the supply line. I also use a magnet in the stock filter. Finally, I use a spin on filter for the aluminum particles in the return line. The oil in the UFM is clean!

David

nkt267

VOC Member
I use a spin on filter for the aluminum particles in the return line.

I have one of these that I was going to fit. Some one said they thought it may restrict the return to the tank. Have you had any problems with this?..John

1660bob

VOC Member
I have been pondering extra (magnetic)filtration on the twin for a while. My take on it is thus: The stop valve fitting at the oil tank outlet could be discarded and a slightly bigger diameter unit made, with magnets fitted inside to arrest any (ferrous) metallic contamination of the oil before it gets down to the motor. The standard gauze in the oil tank would have to be left as is i.e. no finer, as there is only gravity feeding the oil and obviously no restriction to free flow can be allowed-( not that it is generous anyway- the standard outlet fitting under the stop valve is little over 6mm dia!!) I think a second filter unit would be best placed in the scavenge return BEFORE it feeds the rockers- no point in picking up the engines natural wear particles just to put some of them back in again via the rocker feeds. Not so easy to site this one due to lack of space- although a crude method would be to stick magnets to the outside of the A58AS and A66AS pipes to arrest the metallic crud onto the inside of the pipe-not easy to check or clean....If a reliable filter could be fitted in the A58AS area (bearing in mind that here this is pumped oil ) it would perhaps obviate the need for a filter on the entry back to the tank, unless consideration is to be made for non ferrous contamination also, where we have to move to a paper/fine gauze element.There are some very fine and compact gauze element oil filters made for small capacity motorcycle engines "HI-FLO" i think is one make.Placed in a suitable custom made pot, perhaps with a magnet in there also, and squeezed into the gap between the cylinders under the oil tank return port.I would think a suitable size could be found to cope easily with the flow OK, thus trapping any appreciable crud before it gets dumped in the oil tank. Discuss/ridicule as you feel appropriate..... Bob.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Just be careful not to repeat my mistake of placing a "Cow Magnet" in your oil tank. After doing so, one morning I was greeted with a thoroughly angered Hereford Bull, firmly attached to what was left of my Rapide!;-)

Last edited:

b'knighted

VOC Member
BA Meteor Oil Filter.jpg As fitted by Bob Anderson on a couple of A singles.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
It may have been on jtan, but I'm sure somebody (possibly Sid) fitted or suspended a magnet in the tank near the return pipe, unless disaster has struck the amount of debris coming back won't be great.

davidd

VOC Member
This is the same set-up as above; the Norton remote filter. The filter is very basic and has no check valve, thus no restrictions. I get immediate flow upon start-up. The Zippers filter can be seen on the feed line. Carleton mounted the Norton filter under the swing arm pivot where it was not easily spotted.

damper1.jpg

David