Membership Query

youngjohn

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I joined the VOC towards the end of July and haven't heard anything as yet. I've mailed the membership secretary a few days ago but haven't had a reply to date.
I'd like to upgrade my forum account/posting privileges and can't do that without a membership number. Just wondering if this is a normal timescale?

Albervin

VOC Member
Did you join by mail or via the web site? Take into account the clearing of funds, communication between several people & the holiday season; to paraphrase an advert here in Australia "it won't happen overnight but it will happen"..

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
I Joined via the website - the funds were taken from my bank next day. I fully understand that this is a club and things are done by volunteers, it's just that I would like to upgrade my forum privileges. It might be an idea to have an automated reply service, just to acknowledge that an application has been received and to indicate an approximate timescale for its processing.

Albervin

VOC Member
I Joined via the website - the funds were taken from my bank next day. I fully understand that this is a club and things are done by volunteers, it's just that I would like to upgrade my forum privileges. It might be an idea to have an automated reply service, just to acknowledge that an application has been received and to indicate an approximate timescale for its processing.
I agree that is a good idea. The VOCS could do likewise so we know something is happening.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I am currently at the Hever rally, where also I have seen Graham Smith who runs this forum, and John and Dawn Kennedy who are the UK membership Secretaries, and John Phillip the o/seas m/ship sec, so I think it will be a few days before you see a result. I'm also sure the banking is on auto pilot, so that would get processed right away, unfortunately Graham et all have no auto pilot mode. Patience my young Grasshopper!

Albervin

VOC Member
I am currently at the Hever rally, where also I have seen Graham Smith who runs this forum, and John and Dawn Kennedy who are the UK membership Secretaries, and John Phillip the o/seas m/ship sec, so I think it will be a few days before you see a result. I'm also sure the banking is on auto pilot, so that would get processed right away, unfortunately Graham et all have no auto pilot mode. Patience my young Grasshopper!
Wooly Mammoths speaking to grasshoppers??:eek:

G

Graham Smith

This is what 'could' have happened.

John and Dawn our UK Membership Secretaries have been saving up a few new members (online application and postal), so they're able to show someone in our Club how they process new Members on the computer.

This is 'probably' why you haven't heard anything to date.

I'm 99.9% sure this won't delay you receiving the next edition of MPH.

Regards

Graham
PS - If this isn't the case, I'm sure John and Dawn will reply when they get home!

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Welcome

Welcome to VOC, John. I did wonder why I was reading "youngjohn (non-member of the VOC)" in a section of the forum restricted to members of the VOC. Evidently not all parts of the system move at the same speed...
Please believe me that Graham in the flesh isn't anything like the character in the villainous stubble his picture shows. And I've never seen Albertvin in a bow-tie. And Robert Watson's Wooly Mammoth really IS a mobile Wi-Fi cell.
Late news: just realised I was not in my chosen place, technical queries for club members, but in universal access, with the hoi polloi (look it up).
Which doesn't diminish the welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
I'm confused - I've received a mail saying that I'm now a member, and I've gone to permissions and applied to 'upgrade' my forum membership, but am waiting for something to happen. Can you tell me which members area am I in, because I can only access 'General Chat Public Access' and 'Technical Public Access'. It's a complex business joining this club!