Mecum Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
From what I've witnessed on the Norton site- every US state is different in regard to registration without existing title. Some are very easy while other states make it nearly impossible to register without old title in hand.
This explains the value of old, unused titles from wrecked and parted out bikes. A number of those have quietly changed hands. New unstamped frame plates are available at Andover Norton.
Sometimes you have to sneak around like a criminal just to have a bit of fun!

Glen
There is a youtube about Norton's and it's very bad, Lots of tricky goings on, Lots of money lost by the fact they can't supply Bikes, And it looks like people have been conned out of there money ?.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Well it has rather unique case mating numbers that Simon is aware of albeit unofficially. Only a frame number required for insurance here. I have thought about making sure they have some other unique markings and then ask Simon to keep photos on file.
I can issue you with a new engine number if one is required or you just want to uniquely identify a new engine. The new engine numbers are in the format F10AB/5/12### where /5/ signifies new replica crankcases and the 12### is the next avaliable sequential number. Note all new numbers are in the 12,000 plus range so well above where the Vincent factory stopped.

Simon

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I can issue you with a new engine number if one is required ...
You should carefully check local regulations before taking Simon up on this offer. In my State, if an engine number is missing (or altered or defaced) an application must be filed requesting a plate with a special serial number that then must be permanently attached by an official. Another statute states that altering an engine number -- although, it's not obvious whether adding one's own number to a blank spot counts as "altering" -- is either a misdemeanor or a felony depending on what they decide your intent was.

I'm sure every State (or Canadian Province) has their ideas on what needs to be done, but this is something well worth researching before deploying your number stamps.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Funny, I’ve registered my Rap in three states and used the engine number each time. Since I bought it with a title in 1980, no government official has ever inspected it to notice and possibly object.

Somer

VOC Member
Requirements have varied from state to state and year to year. In the states during the 40's and 50's, typically the engine number was used for registration. In the 60's they evolved towards frame numbers. I have found that on a vintage bike, no eyebrows will typically be raised.
There have been issues with stolen bikes and states re-assigning serial numbers. Sometimes done by riveting a tag on.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
There is a youtube about Norton's and it's very bad, Lots of tricky goings on, Lots of money lost by the fact they can't supply Bikes, And it looks like people have been conned out of there money ?.

That'll be the end of the modern/very problematic 961 Norton and Stuart Garner's Company.
It has no effect on the world of original Norton Dommies and the 1960s/70s Commando 750 850 etc.
Quite a mess though.

Glen

Prince Duster

VOC Member
It's all just words, Who can you believe, The first owners Son of my first Twin, Made contact via this Forum,
And said Mr Vincent was a friend of his Dad and that Phil Vincent road my Bike,
Yet it's a 1950 Rapide, And I have since read that Phil Vincent stopped riding in 1949 after a crash from a bad gearbox ?.
Too many years have past to say what is right and what is wrong, When you read that Engines have gone back and had the Cases changed when almost new, Apart from Blow ups !, And Crashes with Frames being changed,
I have read that there are a lot of rear frames with no number, So is that better than a restamp ?.
As long as they are not stolen, Who cares about numbers, If in doubt ask Simon.
PCV's accident was in 1947. He had about a year's riding post-war. David Lancaster

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That'll be the end of the modern/very problematic 961 Norton and Stuart Garner's Company.
It has no effect on the world of original Norton Dommies and the 1960s/70s Commando 750 850 etc.
Quite a mess though.

Glen
I thought the 961 was the best !!, You can't trust anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.