Mecum Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneStar

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well, that's plausible, at least in the absence of another explanation - conspicuous consumption. Still, I think the tactic is at risk of backfiring. Most collectors value the factors listed earlier, but are less impressed with ego-driven displays of wealth.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Most collectors ... are less impressed with ego-driven displays of wealth.
Whether or not other collectors, rich or poor, are impressed with the display of wealth, the question is if it is one of the motivating factors for many rich collectors. I would argue it is.

litnman

VOC Member
Is the Jack Ehret Lightning worth what it sold for recently? Would the recent seller pay that amount to get it back again.

vibrac

VOC Member
Factors not yet mentioned in owning a Vincent for me
My initial ownership cost under £100 for a non matching twin
My knowledge gained over many years ownership means it's useful and easy to run and maintain twin or single.
Stocks of parts built up means lower running costs
All my VOC connections
It's resale value with those considerations is not a great concern neither is what was stamped on the metal or strict adherence to standard
And remember ownership does not preclude owning a modern bike

greg brillus

VOC Member
These bikes should without a doubt be worth every cent........Look at the crazy prices some exotic cars fetch........ The owner of the Ehret Lightning would most certainly pay the same again, whoever was bidding against him was also in the same chase. For something as practical as a bike, they are not that expensive by comparison to other investments.......My thoughts about all of this....... Enjoy them while you can....... The day will come when you can no longer.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I was asked a year or so ago to confirm the numbers on a Vincent looked correct and matched which they did. The buyer then asked if the VOC had ownership history of the bike going back to new, of which we did not. He then reponded that as as full ownership history was not known he was not interesed in the bike and so did not buy it. This sort of agrees with what Magnetoman says above about in postings #60 & #62 that their reason for looking at buying a Vincent had nothing to do with riding motorcycles.

So tongue in cheek I could say based on the above that if you don't inform the VOC of the numbers on your Vincent when renewing your membership then you are actually devaluing your bikes:D

Simon

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It's all just words, Who can you believe, The first owners Son of my first Twin, Made contact via this Forum,
And said Mr Vincent was a friend of his Dad and that Phil Vincent road my Bike,
Yet it's a 1950 Rapide, And I have since read that Phil Vincent stopped riding in 1949 after a crash from a bad gearbox ?.
Too many years have past to say what is right and what is wrong, When you read that Engines have gone back and had the Cases changed when almost new, Apart from Blow ups !, And Crashes with Frames being changed,
I have read that there are a lot of rear frames with no number, So is that better than a restamp ?.
As long as they are not stolen, Who cares about numbers, If in doubt ask Simon.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Yes the restamp... I recall doing that back in the day. Working at a motorcycle dealership when replacing a frame or crankcases. That was the way it was done at the time. My NOS twin cases are going to remain without numbers.... to me they seem more interesting without them.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Don't you need numbers for insurance ?, And if the Bike was stolen, How would you know they were yours if found, I must admit it would put me off buying new cases, Not that I have enough money.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Don't you need numbers for insurance ?, And if the Bike was stolen, How would you know they were yours if found, I must admit it would put me off buying new cases, Not that I have enough money.

Well it has rather unique case mating numbers that Simon is aware of albeit unofficially. Only a frame number required for insurance here. I have thought about making sure they have some other unique markings and then ask Simon to keep photos on file. That way I can prevent an extended stay in the Crowbar Hotel and there will be a record for any future owner. If anyone asks about the missing number I’ll just tell them it’s Gunga Din’s long lost twin brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.