Mecum Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Okay, so who bid on the Firefly and took it out of my reach? Come on, own up.
the "Original" that doesn't have an original exhaust and is fitted in a non original frame.

Albervin

VOC Member
Seriously! It was Half Price!! Bargain. I was told it had the factory race kit in it too. Seriously though. Were they fitted to particular frames at the factory or did customers choose their own frames? I have seen Raleigh, Phillips and others.

Comet

VOC Member
Seriously! It was Half Price!! Bargain. I was told it had the factory race kit in it too. Seriously though. Were they fitted to particular frames at the factory or did customers choose their own frames? I have seen Raleigh, Phillips and others.
The factory supplied some fitted to specific frames, but also supplied stand alone engine units that the rider could install him/herself. £38 19 shillings and 3 pence for a unit "fully equipped for the road". Sun and Phillips I believe were the frames of choice by Vincent. At least some of the factory supplied bicycles had a reinforced and sprung front end. I am not sure if all of the factory bicycles were the same or if some earlier ones were released with standard bicycle forks. Geoff Ragg and some other members would have a much better knowledge than I.
If anyone has the answer as to the front ends then I would love to know.

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
A firefly "lightningised"? - something!:D

Somer

VOC Member
Mecum runs on a "volume" model. Several days their sales went past 8PM in the evening. Not many bidders there. They do little vetting of entries. Their primary interest is making sure no number jobs come through. They do have ex-policemen examining. I have helped them in the past with certain units.
Auctions are funny. They sold an estate on Wednesday morning. it was no-reserve. I told people that they will be cheap. They were. I wound up with the C-Touring Rapide. It was semi-matching numbers. I knew three of the previous owners. A few days later an extremely tatty one with need for total refurbishment sold more than 2X. The C Shadow that sold for 130K+ BP was very nice. It was owned by Dan Gurney the famous race car driver. He rode it to and from the sows that he won. On later C's in the states, I have found that people will often take off the knurled knobs and put on tommy bars. They think they're cooler. Hi number C Shadows are always suspect.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Semi-matching? I've not heard that term used before.
It means some of the numbers in the engine are the same as some of the numbers in the frame. It's often used in the same descripton as "Perfect condition for restoration," or "It ran before it was put away."

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Maybe it means the engine matches one frame member but not the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.