Measurements

ogrilp400

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dear All,
Ok all you Vincent people out there, all those with a tank and or UFM sitting bare. Can you 1. measure across the bosses of the UFM where the tank front mount attaches. 2. Measure between the two tabs on the front of the petrol tank. They say that Indian made tanks don't fit, I'm beginning to doubt that any two original Vincent ones are the same. I'm going to make up some jigs that check the position of the four tank mounting screws in relation to each other. From that I will then make another jig that fits inside of it to make sure that the tank mounting tabs are easily compatible with the UFM mountings.

Phelps.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi Ken, OK I have measured three of the headstocks/ UFM I have, and they range from 3.000 to 3.015 to 3.025 across the two front bosses depending on paint thickness I guess, and the tank ears are all over the place, but somewhere between 3.600 and 3.700 inside the lugs should work out ok. I have had to chop off some from tanks and reweld them to get the fit better. It's par for the course with Vincent as you well know. Cheers and beers......Greg.

davidd

VOC Member
The width of the unpainted boss for the fuel tank mounts on the FT4 is 3.00". It is the widest part of the FT4. All of the other bosses for the oil tank mounting are 2.75" and the head lug is 1.748". Since Greg was right about the bosses I would go with his figure on the tank tabs.

David

Magnetoman

VOC Member
three of the headstocks/ UFM I have, and they range from 3.000 to 3.015 to 3.025 across the two front bosses depending on paint thickness
I measured 3.025", including paint, for the headstock of mine, but the tank is on a shelf where it is difficult to reach. However, if you still need that measurement post a response and I'll try to get to it this coming weekend.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Ken,

Lucky tank is off at present.

1. across the headstem bosses = 3.04" including paint
2. Between the front "ears" on the tank = 3.62"
3. Between the rear tank ears for FT155 = 4.00"

BTW if one is after a new/replacement tank where can one that will fit OK be found?

Martyn

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Thanks to all who replied to my request. I have been without an internet line since early June so have not been able to get back to thank you all.