Max's Brake Tips

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bruce,

Thanks for the file and the link. The link works fine, but like others I cannot get to the site. I converted the file you posted to PDF in case it is easier to read for anyone.

David

Attachments

• Max Brake Tips.pdf
    12.4 KB · Views: 34

vibrac

VOC Member
Reading the bit about the precision of the holes in the jig, I don't think I drempt a very erudite article about the actual holes (cam or pivot) in the brake plates being actually designed in the wrong place by an amount ("1/8 ?) I know I was very convinced by the geometrics involved so the article must exist.
for me the most important thing is checking a bit of slop in the center hole so that it can move into centrality before the spindle is tightened.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The end of last year, I tried the late Roger hallet trick of making the hole in the shoe elongated, By a few thou', To make sure of full contact, Seemed better but not done enough miles yet, I don't have the tools to do what Max tells us. Cheers Bill.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I know Trevor of Hayling has written about the pivots being off and the late Bert Weisz had a mod in MPH that provided a floating pivot with thin plates linking the pins. I looked in 40YO, ATY, and on the VOC site, Whitikerpedia and Warr's Index and didn't find anything.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Reading the bit about the precision of the holes in the jig, I don't think I drempt a very erudite article about the actual holes (cam or pivot) in the brake plates being actually designed in the wrong place by an amount ("1/8 ?) I know I was very convinced by the geometrics involved so the article must exist.
for me the most important thing is checking a bit of slop in the center hole so that it can move into centrality before the spindle is tightened.

I believe its the cam hole that is 1/8 further from the backing plate center hole which gives the cam a greater lever advantage.
Some one said he could move the world if he had a long enough lever.;)

MAX