Max's Brake Tips

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I know Trevor of Hayling has written about the pivots being off and the late Bert Weisz had a mod in MPH that provided a floating pivot with thin plates linking the pins. I looked in 40YO, ATY, and on the VOC site, Whitikerpedia and Warr's Index and didn't find anything.
I seem to recall MPH 499.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
The problem I found with concerning my self with the assembly of the backing plate and achieving the ultimate goal is this. Even if pristine parts are available to build a as new backing plate assembly, bonding glues , different thickness with varying of consistency's of linings and radius differentials of the drum and the shoe lining is the animal to tame and make right.

Max

greg brillus

VOC Member
Interestingly I haven't tried strapping my Vincent to my back and jumping out of a plane.....but it sounds exciting. In the article from MPH 499 I can see this being an issue if you replace the shoes with new linings on and ground to size as per the brakes on a car. But if the shoes with oversize linings are installed per normal using a shim either side of the cam and machining the linings in the lathe to suit the I/D of the drum, I always find this works ok. Although some lining materials work better than some others. Some or others may know that you can actually lengthen the linings by around 30 mm per shoe by welding up the small depression at the end of the standard area, radius the welded area to follow the shape of the shoe, and bond on longer linings......It will help, and after all, a Vincent needs all the brakes it can get.....I always say, "They go far better than they stop". Greg.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Interestingly I haven't tried strapping my Vincent to my back and jumping out of a plane.....but it sounds exciting. In the article from MPH 499 I can see this being an issue if you replace the shoes with new linings on and ground to size as per the brakes on a car. But if the shoes with oversize linings are installed per normal using a shim either side of the cam and machining the linings in the lathe to suit the I/D of the drum, I always find this works ok. Although some lining materials work better than some others. Some or others may know that you can actually lengthen the linings by around 30 mm per shoe by welding up the small depression at the end of the standard area, radius the welded area to follow the shape of the shoe, and bond on longer linings......It will help, and after all, a Vincent needs all the brakes it can get.....I always say, "They go far better than they stop". Greg.
Machining with a spacer in the cam face, only doubles the error when its`s assembled. You need to grasp geometry to be able to understand what actually happens. But I have a cutaway set up that shows exactly what happens, so you can see the shoe bending. Just for example you turn the shoe with a ten thou shim in there, then turn to give five thou clearance, that means that when you remove the shim there will be 15 thou clearance at the cam, but five thou at the pivot. So on operation the cam will move the shoe, the pivot end will touch before the cam end.
Personally I think it would be better to turn the shoe with ten thou clearance, then ADD a shim of five thou. on assembly.

Think about levers and loads, when the cam is applied, that should be the place that it touches first, adjacent to the cam. so how can a brake plate distort, only when the load is somewhere else. Would you believe it`s at the pivot pin ?

Once again I`ll ask the experts to advise, but remember, it`s your brakes.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
The mistake is calling the steel clip that is the scuff plate that protects the aluminum brake from undue ware a shim, the steel clip is not removed.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
As no reference to shim thickness was given , one would assume---. You did give life to the shim by giving it a .010
thickness. Craig , help me and Trev out here!