VOC Member
129.JPG
Methamon at Copdock
128 - Copy.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This is my memory of Maurice as I remember seeing him (from this forum in 2013 when we were fighting the Greens of Brighton to keep the sprint open)
"I remember seeing Maurice Brierley on Methamon on Madeira drive. (I belive the Vincent is still alive and kicking) As is well known he only had one leg and at Brighton that year he had one leg of his leathers pinned up with an enormous safety pin he must have pinched from a big Scotsman's kilt.
His position on the start-line with his outfit was at 30 degrees to the track pointing at the crowd on the Left hand side.
When he dropped the plot it screeched off the line and with a spinning drive wheel fighting for grip the outfit rotated 30 degrees right and disappeared down the course."

nkt267

VOC Member
When you look at the picture of the left of the bike you can see a lever behind the foot rest, the rear brake is operated with your heel. The lever releases when a gear is selected..If I remember correctly:confused:..John

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I watched him many times, He never had much trouble at the track, I keep meaning to do the clutch mod',
He had a bit of brake lining bonded to a bracket, So when he pulled the clutch in The outer plate would touch and it would slow the clutch, I run standard clutches, Which work well, But some times I think would work even better with that mod'. Cheers Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have happy memories of seeing Methamon on visits with Titch Allen to the now defunct Stanford Hall museum where we would shunt the bikes around to change the display. Sometimes, when we had a group cleaning day with the dust removed some of the bikes were given a blast down the drive to blow out any remaining cobwebs. This never stretched as far as Methamon but I do remember having a ride on a 350cc cammy Norton that was raced by Eric Oliver.
I saw Methamon run at an East Kirkby sprint meeting last year. It was good to see that some of these old warhorses are still alive and kicking. Unfortunately, I think there was a bit of a prang at the end of a run and passenger Sheelagh Neal was injured.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Love the look of the outfit now, But it was never like that when Maurice rode it !, Not a polishing man !.
Sorry to hear about Sheelagh, She raced for many many years, Also, Always did our Curborough Twisty Sprints,
In the early days with her Dad Ossie on the Scott. Cheers Bill.