Marty Dickerson

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Jr. sent this today:

Ladys and gentleman,

I have the plans of my fathers memorial service in the works. Lee Kennedy will be running point with all the arrangements as to having him scattered at Bonneville this year. He is the technical director for SCTA and BNI. He arranged his own fathers memorial and several others there at Bonneville.

He will have one of his in house writers come up with a memorial writing for the BNI website and arrange all the details. Dad wanted to have part of him scattered from the pull of a parachute, so that will happen. Told not from a Harley or Japanese bike, PLEASE.

The rest of the service is to be determined, many options. I will probably send one more mailing out as far as the exact particulars as BIKE WEEK approaches. He will given back to the salt flats and his many admirers where he belongs.

Marty Dickerson passed February 19, 2020 @ roughly 5 pm

998cc

Active Forum User
VOC Member
RIP Marty.
A mid 1970's article on his return to the Salt Flats was instrumental in kindling my interest and enthusiasm for Vincents.

Godspeed, OM.

Russ from California

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
There are some fascinatingly engineered Vincent racers, Matson, Chapman, Brown, Higgins, etc, but Marty's Blue Bike has a simple elegance that equals its fantastic performance (given the restrictions of the class it competed in). You really have to see the bike in person to see the numerous custom details he incorporated. He trimmed the bottom section of the petrol tank, the shafts on the Girdraulics have custom machined rounded heads on one side, all large diameter bolts have a taper cut into the end, the castings on the RFM are ground down to smoothly blend into the tubes, the way the handlebar mounts are rotated down, and the curves of the resulting handlebar to snake its way through the inside of the parallelogram of the forks, the rear sets way back at the rear wheel and how the brake lever pivots right off the actuator in the brake plate. Plus the fully polished cases, chrome and paint work show quality, despite the ravages of salt. Beautiful.

Last edited:

litnman

VOC Member
Marty Dickerson poster.png