Marty Dickerson

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Irene phoned Marty yesterday and with the 8 hour difference caught him waiting for dialysis, so, we only talked for a couple of minutes.
He sounded sharp but, not too keen his (his words) "kidneys are shot". This morning Marty jr. posted this:
Hello all,

Thank you to the folks that shared your tidbits about dad and the photos. I will not turn down anybody if they want to share in the future.

Dad is settled in. Not so sure how excited he is about the situation. We/He made the decision to do the TAVR knowing that it would take a hit on kidney function. Personally I feel the doctor should have looked a bit closer at the condition of his kidneys, weighed the possible negitive effect and turned down the opportunity to do another procedure. Water under the bridge at this point.

We are pushing on with what we are faced with. Three days of dialysis. Mon, Wed and Friday, 12:30 - 3:30. I am trying to get a sense of what dad feels about it. He is just going with the flow. I have tried to reach inside of him, very little commumication back. The rehab period last 60 days. He is actually doing better. He gets PT 3-4 times a week. He is able to walk to the camode now, huge improvement. Possible come back on kidney function after and during dialysis. ????????

I am asking another favor, as you folks are his close friends. Please attempt to call him, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday or Sunday. Thinking mid morning through mid afternoon. He may or may not pick up, but I will check his missed calls if he does not pick up. Leave a voice message, so I know who has called. I will ring you back on his phone when I am there. He needs some outside stimulation, to hear from you guys. Maybe you can help me get a feel about what he thinks. PLEASE TRY.

I am enclosing his mailing address as well as his phone number again. Can you folks give him a bit of moral support by calling and writing. He could use the stimulation and hope.

Martin Dickerson
C/O Windsor Terrace 805-297-3986 Thanks in advance
250 Fairveiw Road

Thousand Oaks, Calif. 91361

mercurycrest

VOC Member
This was in my E Mail this morning.....

Hi Folks,
Been awhile, thought I would give you a break.
Well the dialyisis will continue forever. There was no rebound in his kidney function as I suspected. So he basically gave his kidneys to have a good heart valve. He has 100% oxygen in his blood now and is breathing fine.
He lost quit a bit of weight due to the kidney failure. He will be getting the tubes in his chest out, as we have had a FISTULA created in his arm. This means they will be doing the dialysis from a large vein (fistula) that was created for that reason.
He seems to be tolaorating the dialysis fairly well. The day of dialysis is pretty taxing and he does little more than sleep. The other four days he watches his movies. Friday night I take him to spend the weekend with murial and his cat. Pick him up Sunday and we do the deal all over again.
I have arraigned help though the county. I have someone come over a couple hours a day, M-F. She has lunch with him and exercises him during her visit. He goes to the park and does a lap or two and does upper body exercise when he rests on the bench. His dyalysis days are exercise at home and then he typically sleeps until dinner.
His spirts seem to be fine and his appetite is good. He is still very sharp mentally (thank God). He is hoping his new Primary care doctor will allow him to drive. NOT. He is looking forward to getting his dyalysis tubes out so he can go in his hot tub. It is at Muriels. He is being fed very healthy food so all of his blood tests are within range. Saturday we went out and he had a glass of wine, that made him happy. Ice cream is on the no-no list so he get none of that.
Anyway, things are what they are and thought I would give you folks a little snapshot of what is going on. We should all be so lucky as to go as far as him with only two medical procedures in his 92nd year of life.

God Bless you all for caring The other Marty

Comet

VOC Member
It is good to hear things are still looking good for Marty.
Keep it going that way as best as you can, with the idle screw an dmain jet sorted he should keep ticking over for a long time yet.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Some upbeat info in my mail this morning from Marty Jr.

A brief one,

He is still hanging in there, RATHER WELL. I have aquired assisstance with him 5 days a week. Basically to exercise him and keep him going so I can keep him here. He seems to be tolorating the dialysis well. Still take him to Muriels each weekend, to see her and his cats.
His primary doctor pulled him off the road, no more driving. He has not done that since his procedures anyway. He hasnt said much, sure he is not happy. We updated his cell phone so we can see who calls him, his little flip phone has been out of commission for quite awhile. He now has a new 4g FLIP PHONE.
We have been invited to the annual VOC dinner and i will be bringing him to see all of his old friends. He is very much looking forward to that. I have.
I have been through alot of soul searching and emotions through this whole ordeal. Im sure I have sent some wild and crazy emails to you all. I want to thank you for listening. It has been rather difficult for me. I have settled in to the fact that he will be with me until he passes and I will have front row to that. I will handle it as best I can and do what needs to be done until that time arrives.
So for u who will be at the SO Cal VOC dinner, I will have THE FAMOUS MARTY DICKERSON there. He is VERY MUCH TOGETHER MENTALLY, it is just his old tired body that seems to be the problem.

THANKS for listening ( the other Marty )

mercurycrest

VOC Member
This was in this morning's mail... Friday the 13th and if you're a Brit, wondering about Marty jr's request, get used to it you just voted for it in the UK!

"The old fart is doing well. He just did a contuation of an interveiw at Jay Lenos garage this week. They picked him up in a Maserati, took him to Jay Lenos garage for some filming for a documentary. He got to to his favorite passtime ( talk about his life) The documentary is called " Speed is expensive" Not sure when it will be available, I will keep u posted.

John Laughney is picking him up this Saturday to take him to the VOC Christmas dinner in Northridge, Ca. He will enjoy that. Only good things about the famous Marty Dickerson.

ON THE DARKER SIDE, My son, Famous Martys grandson is very ill and in the hospital !

As if I did not have enough to deal with. My son is in the hospital with a rare autoammune syndrome. His got it through having adult chickenpox. It is called Guillian Barre', very rare. At present he is in the hospital receiving Blood Plasma Transfers for the second time. He is paraylzed from the waist down, very little use of his upper extremeties. He has two children and his gal toughing it out in Eureka, Ca
This syndrome is very nasty and takes sometimes years to recover from. My son is unable to walk, work or stand. If you folks feel so inclined I have attached a GO FUND ME link below if you can help out his gal and two kids. Sheila my wife is flying out tomorrow to help with the family. I just came back last Saturday.
I am reaching out to everybody I know, so dont feel an obligation to contribute, BUT if you can PLEASE DO....Any AMOUNT will add up. Thank you for even considering it. Please pass it on to others if you are so inclined.

GO FUND ME LINK BELOW"

https://www.gofundme.com/f/father-of-two-cannot-walk-do-to-adult-chickenpox

Albervin

VOC Member
John, the NHS will not be privatised. That was Corbyn bullshit. Getting back to the real matter. In most cases patients with Guilain-Barre syndrome will revert to normal with some (possible) lingering after effects. Treatment of auto-immune diseases has gone ballistic in the last 20 years. In the UK and Australia the cost of this treatment is capped and so is completely affordable. It is so wrong for a country such as the USA to penalise people for getting sick. In my years in the VOC I have seen several members sell their collection to pay for medical treatment. I better leave it there because this makes me so angry.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
John, the NHS will not be privatised. That was Corbyn bullshit. Getting back to the real matter. In most cases patients with Guilain-Barre syndrome will revert to normal with some (possible) lingering after effects. Treatment of auto-immune diseases has gone ballistic in the last 20 years. In the UK and Australia the cost of this treatment is capped and so is completely affordable. It is so wrong for a country such as the USA to penalise people for getting sick. In my years in the VOC I have seen several members sell their collection to pay for medical treatment. I better leave it there because this makes me so angry.
Corbyn has/had nothing to do with my opinion.. The subject is about Marty, so let's drop it.:)