Marty Dickerson

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
And the not so good news was in this mornings mail:
"Well folks,
Not good stuff is going on. Dad is not bouncing back as hoped. The use of the imaging dye to do the procedure has taken some of his kidney function. He had very little, none really to spare. They are talking optimistically, but looks like dialysis is in dads future. Renal doctor has been called in , for sure meds, at first to try to compensate, but he did use the D word.
He has not been eating, at present they have him on IV, for nutrition. I am trying to remain optimistic, he is 92 1/2 years old, well thats it for now. I will be seeing him tomorrow

THANKS"

mercurycrest

VOC Member
This came later today:
Continuing decline in kidney function, putting in a dialysis port today. Short term dialysis might give kidneys a chance to bounce back, thats being optimistic. We will try this for an appropriate amount of time to assess if kidneys will rebound. At that point, to be determined by dad and myself, if we are to continue.
Will keep you posted..........

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Better news this morning:
"Dialysis helped quit a bit........ Starting to eat soft foods ........got up out of bed........Kidney count a bit better .....Took Muriel to visit today !

He had a 100% improvement from yesterday, who he looked liked and his cognitive improvement, talking, joking alittle on the slow side, yesterday was heartbreaking today had a bit of hope.

"

Comet

VOC Member
That is great to read there is some improvement in Marty. Keep going Marty. Best wishes.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
In the
mail this morning was this:

"Going to stay in the moment folks. Your dear friend and my father is still in the race,but may coming closer to the victory lap.

He had a permanent dialysis port put in today. Myself and the hospital are looking for a skilled nursing home for him nearby. The amount of dialysis is yet to be determined. He has tolorated it pretty well at the hospital and I am told is walking a bit now. He is taking everything in stride and would love to come home here, that is not possible. I would love to be able to afford a posh, high end place for him to spend his final days.

There is really no age comparison for people as old as he and how long they can handle dialysis. So, it will be a day to day affair and I will follow dads lead until he says uncle.

Some of you folks have actually spent more quality time with him than I have as an adult. He was always off doing and playing with you guys or just sitting on his little mountaintop in Creston listening to his music and sipping his wine. He was pretty distant as a father and moved away due to divorce. He was all in, when it came to motorcycling but, not so much being close to his family.

I would really love to hear some of stories and tidbits that u folks shared with him. It would be nice, to learn some things I didnt know about him. He did not talk very intimately about his feelings, only when it came to motorcycling.

Until the next time Younger Marty

"

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Marty and some other chap at Missoula 2016.
20160819_130508 (1).jpg

Attachments

• 20160819_130512.jpg
    20160819_130512.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 12

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Thats Marty and I.

He sat with me as I fixed my Comet during the rally in Missoula. We chatted about his racing and other land speed racers. He was intrigued that someone my age was so interested in Vincents. He is a hero of mine for sure.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Marty Junior sent this out today:
"Just got home from getting the old fart settled in his new short term residence. It has a fancy name Windsor Terrace in Westlake Village, not to far from our old house in Thousand Oaks and he has his own room for the time being, We are praying he rebounds enough to make it back to my place. He is still the old guy that takes everything in stride, calm and cool.

He will be recieving dialysis 3 days per week and physical therapy to get him back up and walking. His mental condition is right up there where it was before all of this happened. He has his cell phone by his side and I am sure he would love to talk to anyone of you. His cell # is 805-297-3986

I was hoping to hear a few more stories from you folks, thats OK. Anyway, thanks for the memories that Dad hold dear in his heart, just thought I could remind him of a couple as he and I go through this ordeal. Blessings to all of you and I will, of course keep u posted on his progress

The Younger one "