Mark Knopfler - Best guitar solo of all time.

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I only put it on here because we were told he is/was a Vincent Owner, I don't think any of the others are ?.
Cheers Bill.

I think you also mentioned the best guitar solo of all time! I think that Series D Shadow owner Eric Weissberg might be upset. I think I hear banjos....

David

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Mark Knopfler signed up for the '99 VOC International in the IOM but had to cancel due to recording commitments. He was on BBC Radio 2 a few months ago and I sent in a question asking if he still had his Vin the question was broadcast and he answered, yes.

TSK68

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Mark Knopfler signed up for the '99 VOC International in the IOM but had to cancel due to recording commitments. He was on BBC Radio 2 a few months ago and I sent in a question asking if he still had his Vin the question was broadcast and he answered, yes.

Brilliant. I'm pleased he still has it. I saw him in concert a couple of times last year. I was also watching a documentary on Youtube earlier today:

Somer

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have to say that there are so many talented musicians around that it amazes me. I enjoy slide guitar also and I bought a CD back in the 1990's by Sonny Landreth. I put it on and I hear Mark Knopfler singing. It turns out that Sonny is one of his favorites (as well as a favorite of Clapton).

Sonny is one of those players that has incredible left and right hand techniques. He is one of the few slide guitarists who realized that he could play slide and then additionally play notes under the slide at the same time. If you listen to Sonny it is difficult to believe that he gets so many sounds out of his guitar. Next of Kindred Spirits is a short intro to his style:

Here are Mark and Sonny together in Blue Tarp Blues:

David
Sonny worked for years as John Mayall's guitar player. Mayall kind of ran a finishing school for guitar players!