Mark Knopfler - Best guitar solo of all time.

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bill,

I can't disagree.

To add something, here is Tommy Emmanuel in one of the best solo performances. Just a mic and a guitar.

David
David, I remember when Tommy played at the local pub over 30 years ago. He was amazing then but now he is world class. Mark Knoffler and Tommy would make a great duo. BTW, I think Telegraph Road is Mark's best guitar effort.
Not the best concert but at 9:30 the wrist and fingers come to the fore.

davidd

VOC Member
Ian,

Tommy and Mark did play together on a little ditty:

As for Telegraph Road, Mark's style was so different. It was clear from the first that he was a great musician.

David

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
Its a good job we dont all like the same....:p
I don't know all these modern gitar guys playing sophisticated music gimmee Chuck Berry and Micky Jupp and real Rock & Roll
Raw and basic bit like 50's motorcycles

Mark did play fairly raw & basic back in the early seventies in a band called Brewers Droop.

davidd

VOC Member
I have to say that there are so many talented musicians around that it amazes me. I enjoy slide guitar also and I bought a CD back in the 1990's by Sonny Landreth. I put it on and I hear Mark Knopfler singing. It turns out that Sonny is one of his favorites (as well as a favorite of Clapton).

Sonny is one of those players that has incredible left and right hand techniques. He is one of the few slide guitarists who realized that he could play slide and then additionally play notes under the slide at the same time. If you listen to Sonny it is difficult to believe that he gets so many sounds out of his guitar. Next of Kindred Spirits is a short intro to his style:

Here are Mark and Sonny together in Blue Tarp Blues:

David

vibrac

VOC Member
Mark did play fairly raw & basic back in the early seventies in a band called Brewers Droop.

I once heard a poor recording that I liked, someone said it was the Beetles which was strange because they are definitely not on my 'like list' then I found out the recording was in Germany when they were the Quarrymen

vibrac

VOC Member
True story
My racing buddy Steve and I used to go to the California ballroom in Dunstable a huge place with a stage at both ends about 2/6 entry fee (12.5p) Its early 1960's perhaps 63 and we had just had a belly full of some "well known group whose main claim to fame seemed to be jumping up and down on the spot while singing
"Geeze" I said to my mate as they finished "Is that what we have to look forward too no more rock and roll? lets go to the bar"?
At that moment a Chuck Berry riff shattered the room and the back up group started up at the other end we drifted down and really enjoyed the session I think Wyman broke his guitar string Yes it was the Stones the Early Years.