manual cam ring for a twin

I.WISH

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
am i dreaming do these exist i have a k2fc i am making look like a kvftt but i am unable to sorce a manual cam ring i had a firm rebuild it get it running the right way but the cam ring they supplied was out by 10 degrees 40 degree not 50 so i sent it back with the money it cost it has to be right so does anybody have one laying around spare or dose anybody know who would be able to machine an auto one accuratley many thanks

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Simpler surely to have a standard cam ring modified. If I recall correctly (a most unlikely occurrence) the locating notch in the back has to be extended into a cutaway to allow the appropriate amount of rotation and a small notch is cut in the outside for the cable end mushroom to engage in. The position of the mushroom notch must be more critical than exact positioning of the cutaway. If the cutaway could be done without disturbing the locating notch, by rotating the cam before deciding on the mushroom notch position, the cam could be more easily returned to static/ATD use. That will probably give problems ensuring that the sparks occur at a position that permits the slip ring to conduct them to the HT leads.

Bracker1

VOC Member
There is an article in Forty Years On(Article # 46, Ignition ), by a D. Hollis, that describes the standard cam ring being converted to a manual advance. They even give a fairly clear drawing with the explanation. Sounds like the conversion Ian describes. Good Luck, Dan

b'knighted

VOC Member
In the late seventies, when I was collecting bits to convert my Comet into a twin, I started collecting mag. parts. I remember buying a new slip ring from Islington but the only cam I could get had been modified to manual. I may well have bought it from Doug Hollis who used to stock some parts and dealt from his shed in Croydon.
The mag. never got built and I am still running the homemade (by Roger Clark) distributor with Lumenition Optronic sparks. Maybe that should go into another thread as the best value for money modification I ever did.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello, Just a thought, To have an end cap for manual use and slack wire advance I think you wind up with the H.T. leads the wrong way round, It came up about a year ago on the Forum and some people said it can't work, I sent him a photo of mine showing the postion of the cam, I think he had sorted it by then and all was OK, Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello, Just a thought, To have an end cap for manual use and slack wire advance I think you wind up with the H.T. leads the wrong way round, It came up about a year ago on the Forum and some people said it can't work, I sent him a photo of mine showing the postion of the cam, I think he had sorted it by then and all was OK, Cheers Bill.