PD: Primary Drive Make your own Generator

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In the May issue of Classic Bike, this special was featured with a golf cart starter/generator.

starter-dynamo.jpeg

oexing

VOC Member
Assuming that poor Horex Imperator OHC Kayser 500 was restored just recently , judging from the "super cool " left side mounted number plate next to the rear hub, I feel very sorry for her. One cannot seriously discuss taste or looks but this over all "style" seems to have sprung from a 17 old biker - or so it looks . Lots of details I find executed very poorly and this is something that distinguishes well made cafe racers from a majority of only low quality finishes when looking closely.
I don´t see the point of fabricating a rear chain driven dynamo, the slower you go the more miserable the output is. In case of this Horex the not so poor dynamo would sit behind a chromed cover on the left side crankshaft taper, some 60 or 80 W 6 V . You can get a 150 W alternator 12 V today to go in there , electronic ignition included at € 500.- plus, in Japanese brushless style, so this contraption is pointless for various reasons. 55 hp from that engine are a bit wishful thinking , optimists may get them for a very short time with all racing goodies inbuilt but not in public street configuration for decent mileage. The 500 cc Kayser below is in low tune, one carb, very well mannered and my job to keep her in good health for an old pal in my town since the mid-seventies. She once had a full fairing, plastic tank and "fast seat" to go with it - you get the picture. As Albert is in his eighties by now the bike is only once or twice a year a little bit on the road, HIS health no longer so great. His old bike is no way original, he likes the sports looks, a Honda Clubman 500 seat was just perfect for the bike. He would like me to have the bike after all that time but really I´d better like to see it go to some other worthy owner, got some more Horexes already.

Vic

P1040097.JPG

P1040102.JPG

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I wonder if something like this could be adapted for use with a Comet. To replace the generator. Of course you would need to use the decompressor to make life easy for the timing gears when starting

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Don't assume that because the alternator you use takes very little torque to turn it that it will not overload the center rollers of your chain. It is the inertia of the alternator that causes problems with overloading the chain. That is why the McDougalator has a slip clutch system. That is why some of the belt driven alternators work well (as long as the belt is a little loose) Many modern bikes with gear driven alternators have a slip clutch built into the alternator drive. Even the old Lucas Magdyno has this system. It is the sudden speeding up and slowing down that causes problems. Some of the motors looked at here look as though they might have pretty low inertia so they might manage without a slip clutch.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Is that what many of us refer to as an engine shaft shock absorber? If so that is not doing the same job as a slip clutch and one of our German contributors, Oexing, does not like the ESA. When people started playing about with alternators in the 60s some people use a toothed belt to drive the alternator. It did not take long before primary chain wear become obvious and it was soon realised that some form of slippage was required. That is why the Walkernators use a multi vee belt.