PD: Primary Drive Make your own Generator

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Vincent,
Do you mean the friction plates of my "limited slip" device for the dynamo sprocket? The sprocket sits on a bronze bush and the plates are Pertinax, phenolic paper. That material was also used in the torsion damper on Earles type R 69 S crankshaft. So I believe that could be helpful and an idea for protecting Millers and the like in an environment with the original ESA. I must confess the design was only born from a toolmaker´s mind and not yet tested regarding the preload forces necessary for a bit of slippage when shocks may overload the generator mechanics. But there are ways to add some more wave washers for more preload. Only road tests can tell and this will take another year or two in my case. So feel free to use some idea for your own setup.

Vic

Last edited by a moderator:

Little Honda

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
So do any of these devices provide a possibility of a through drive to magnetic pickups? and would one be found where half engine speed would produce enough current? If so the ultimate goal of nothing in the dynamo position to stuff primary chains would be achievable and we could run both electrical power and electronic ignition from the mag position.
And perhaps? make a path for improved electric start from the dynamo position....
That´s, what the Hegeler Ignition/Dynamo unit does.