ET: Engine (Twin) main bearings

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
yesterday I removed the bearings with the above shown extractors.all worked well.thank you !Erik

greg brillus

VOC Member
If new bearings slide easily on and off the shafts and you can feel/see any wear on the shaft, they may need replacing. I'm not sure I would rely on loctite for a hammering load like that.

stu spalding

VOC Member
An "expert" Loctited my primary side roller inner track onto the main shaft and even though everything was fully tightened it resulted in a bottom end rebuild. You're quite right Greg, Loctite isn't up to that particular job. Cheers, Stu.

oexing

VOC Member
Now I´d like to know what type of Loctite he used and how it was applied. The 638 or 648 are extremely strong and just for that purpose designed. I coat both faces with degreased finger and fit with a bit of rotating motion so not to wipe off the glue. I suggest to do a test with some other bushes and see for yourself what amount of pull is required to disassemble. You´d be amazed . . . .
Vic

greg brillus

VOC Member
If the crank needs work, Big end and so on, then changing the mainshafts is not a big deal. The original flywheels are not anything special, and the press fit not that high, very common for the shafts to have rotated in their bores shearing off the mills pin. Best off to fix it, than ignore it.

erik

VOC Member
when we do bonding in dentistry or dental laboratory we often use something called oxyguard. it is a Special jelly to protect the bonding from air. locktite works nearly similar and hardens without air.so the Quality of locktite bonding could be bettered by protecting the gap.this will work even with water.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Done it many times on board ship with electric motor journals slack inbearings or the internal housings when the bearings have been slack, never needed to on Vincent main shafts but would have loved a lathe big enough to swing a set of cases when the regular occurrence of slack housings.
bananaman.