Maiden trip abroad by air Rapide

davidjoyner

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am going to N/Spain on my Rap for a little jolly. Anyone got any advice on using throw over panniers or better still a bracket that would take a Givi top box ( I have one on the Buell). Looking for a small flyscreen ready to bolt on if any one wants to sell, lend , rent whatever. Any routes based around Santander, particularly with good food and twisty roads. Any other advice on travelling abroad by Vincent much appreciated. Regards Dave

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Oh lucky man

I did that trip a few years ago and it was very enjoyable, we were two up and used one of Cyril Maylems (CTG) excellent carriers on the bike, it is a permanent fixture on my Rapide. I dont know if they are still available but they are so good they should be, in my opinion far superior to the Craven carrier.Straight off the ferry we made for The Picos De Europa and for a few days made Potes our base to explore the area which I would strongly recommend, Potes is a really nice place and you should have no trouble finding good accomodation with secure parking if that sort of thing worries you. You will see on a map you can ride all around the base of the Picos on various roads and one really nice road from Soto de Cangas up to the lakes, also Riano is worth a ride. After a few days we tracked our way down to Porto in Portugal to stay with friends but I would have happily spent a lot longer in the Picos, You will have a great time. If you want more detail give me call, Email me for my number

davidjoyner

Non-VOC Member
Aha it is indeed Potes that we are heading for! Thanks for the tips on rides. My bike has quite a noisy exhaust, are the local rozzers tolerant do you know? I am very interested in the CTG pannier rack, any idea where I might find them. In the event we don't catch up I will hammer a few home for the crew back home!
Regards Dave

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Try Ventura or I have a Craven Pannier Rack

Aha it is indeed Potes that we are heading for! Thanks for the tips on rides. My bike has quite a noisy exhaust, are the local rozzers tolerant do you know? I am very interested in the CTG pannier rack, any idea where I might find them. In the event we don't catch up I will hammer a few home for the crew back home!
Regards Dave

Hi Dave,
Try Ventura on the web - they do a fitting set for the Vincent and then you can use any of their range of luggage that sits at the back of the seat. If you fitted the Buell with the Ventura system too you could swap the luggage over. Very neat fitting and when you lift the luggage rack off you can put a sports rack in its place. Quite a few Vincent chaps use it I think - I have a set of the ventura arms but haven't got around to fitting yet - I am thinking of a baglux tank bag first - a Guzzi one from Baglux can be made to fit I have seen pretty well.

I have a spare original craven rack and pannier rack if you fancy borrowing that, you can then fit some lugagge to the sides of it and have a rack on top - it needs a bit of a brush up but you are welcome to borrow it if you fancy.

Have a great time.

Regards

Last edited:

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Hi Norman,

So what did you do to sort out the clutch? :confused:

Hi Norman, thanks again for your help - much appreciated, I've just finished posting an update with my findings - and you'll find the bit about the kickstart and the clutch interesting - I knew I had tested it when I had rebuilt it so was shocked when you found it locked - but with a spin on the valve lifter it would find a new location and lift nicely on the clutch.

Thanks again for your help - I'm hoping that I'm now sorted......

Cheers

Last edited:

davidjoyner

Non-VOC Member
Pannier stuff

Hi Stuart it's midnight and I am away for 2 days, thanks for the response will be in touch over the weekend. Regards Dave

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
On "flyscreens" - try Powerbronze

I am going to N/Spain on my Rap for a little jolly. Anyone got any advice on using throw over panniers or better still a bracket that would take a Givi top box ( I have one on the Buell). Looking for a small flyscreen ready to bolt on if any one wants to sell, lend , rent whatever. Any routes based around Santander, particularly with good food and twisty roads. Any other advice on travelling abroad by Vincent much appreciated. Regards Dave

Dave,

Another thought, the other day I was in the Bike Shop in Petersfield Avenue in Slough. They had a display of Powerbronze aftermarket kit. They had a little bikini fairing/flyscreen that I liked the look of and thought might well be applicable to the Vincent - never got around to trying it but you could think of having a look on the web for them and getting the dimensions of it. It looked at first view as if it would do the job with little modification if any - and would likely come with a "universal" fitting kit I guess.

Cheers