Misc: Ignition Magneto Points

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So from that... can I safely assume that I could bore out the electrodes on my B7ES, replace them with thoriated tungsten electrodes and obtain similar results? Give my poor old capacitor a leg up?

Magnetoman

VOC Member
can I safely assume that I could bore out the electrodes on my B7ES, replace them with thoriated tungsten electrodes and obtain similar results?
Sadly, no, you can't safely assume that. Thorium is only a very weak alpha emitter so would be useless for your spark plugs. However, if you have any radium TIG electrodes in your garage (they'd be the ones glowing on your workbench, no doubt sitting on asbestos pads next to your bottle of trichloroethylene), they'd be great.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Sadly, no, you can't safely assume that. Thorium is only a very weak alpha emitter so would be useless for your spark plugs. However, if you have any radium TIG electrodes in your garage (they'd be the ones glowing on your workbench, no doubt sitting on asbestos pads next to your bottle of trichloroethylene), they'd be great.

Setting on my asbestos pad is a gallon of Carbon Tet and my Dad's 1937 wrist watch that sat in his dresser drawer with the hands together. That's a radium burn on the face between the 6 and 7..
IMG_1572.jpg