PR: Proprietary Items Magneto Points

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What is the insulator button under the contact holddown spring shown in the pic called and if it is missing, should I just look for a small plastic ball rather than an original or pattern part?

Points.png

timetraveller

VOC Member
All the ones I have seen have been made of Tufnol and shaped rather like a flying saucer. I guess a ball would do provided it had a large enough diameter to prevent the spring touching the face of the contact breaker arm but not so large that it could roll out of the recesses.

greg brillus

VOC Member
It is just a miniature bearing to help hold the points on the pivot pin, it is not an insulator. Just fabricate one from a small fibre washer or similar.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I thought it insulated, I'm probably wrong again, but I know if the spring touches the cam ring it goes D.O.Z. (technical term: Devoid Of Zaps).

greg brillus

VOC Member
That is correct, the only part of the points assembly that is insulated is the center piece that has the adjustable part of the contact set, and this has insulation underneath sandwiched between the two brass sections. On the picture above that insulation piece has been replaced with that "eazi-cap" green capacitor. That small brass piece connects to the armature winding and the original capacitor via the points holding screw/bolt.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I ordered a new points set that included the little button from feked.com. That was good, except the movable point pivot hole needs reaming to fit over the post on the points plate.

I would also like to renew the screws that hold the spring to the points arm and the points plate. Green arrowed in the pic.)

Does anyone know what the pitch is, presumably BA?

Points a.png

Last edited: