Magneto pick up

GrantAndrew

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My dads egli vincent has a broken magneto pick up. it has lucas on it and part number 458367.
i thought i would buy a pair and keep one as a spare.I have noticed they have mag pick ups on the voc spares and they are sided l/h and r/h.is this what i need? are they both the same or different parts? where else can you get them from?
thanks, Grant.

Last edited:

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Buy the one you need, and then one more of each as a spare - that way you will never need to buy another..I am still using the ones that I put on my beast in 1986...I would also buy a bunch of the gaskets that go under them - they are cheap and easy to replace.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
It is important to check the that the carbon brush in the pickup is the correct grade. It seems some replacement pickups have been fitted with brushes of a harder grade of carbon which soon ruins the slipring.

GrantAndrew

Non-VOC Member
Is there an easy way to check what grade the carbon brush is?
Also should the pick ups be soldered on or just pushed through into place then screwed together?

Alan J

VOC Member
There is a little brass washer with a twisted split in it.Put the cable wires through , spread them out-I then usually solder them, but you don't have to! I've just replaced my "pickups" after 35 years!!-the holes for the brushes had worn oval-wearing the carbon brushes at a nasty angle. Better replaced at home than out in the dark at the side of the road!

Alan J

VOC Member
Len, I have recently fitted new brushes from a well known supplier, and as you warned they are too hard-result, hard starting and irregular running. Had to put the old ones back for now!