Magneto advice for '48 series 'B' Rapide..

pikerhrd

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
'Slowly putting the Series 'B' Rapide back together...have dismantled the magneto now and a friendly electrical engineer has 'tested the armature/windings and found a break/fault...along with a few other component problems with the armature itself..So...any suggestions about the least costly way to solve the armature problem would be welcome...? Pikerhrd

Ken Tidswell

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There is no cheap way to overhaul a magneto having had a few done myself by the best people around. A rewound armature will cost you £180-190 bearings can be got cheaply if worn or corroded, The slip ring should be replaced by a new one
which should then be tested for concentricity and made true in a lathe, you can fit a Brightspark capacitor for about £15 , the pickups may start to track due to their age , they should be replaced. Do not buy a 'genuine Lucas' Bakelite .
NOS slip ring they are porous and track, do get the mag remagnetised. Replaced the paper cups for the bearings the new ones are better quality. i will PM you if you want to know who can do a good job reassembling it. Just ask

pikerhrd

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Boggler...'Be grateful to know who/companies you've in mind...Not sure how to go about this without breaching Forum rules...

Pikerhrd

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Probably not the cheapest but in terms of quality I believe Dave Lyndsley is at the top of the pile