Mag or electronic?

nobby

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
distributor

After the disaster at the 2007 Annual Rally at the Isle of Man (Comet with blue sidecar) I promised myself never to use electronic iginition again. In this case the blackbox of the Rita amplifier burned down. However, on my current 600 engine I use distributor and coil and so far it is the best ignition I ever had. Simple to adjust and very reliable, not needing huge amount of power like the Lucas.
But where ever I go I carry always a reliable magneto!

Howard

VOC Member
Had a mag when the Egli was new. It burnt out after a few miles and was rebuilt. Never easy to start, being (in those days) short legged and fairly light. Crunch came when the mag on my Ariel gave up the ghost as well, so I changed Ariel and Egli to coil ignition (twin points - twin coil on the Egli).

Coil ignition never let me down (that I remember). If you're paranoid you can always drop a spare set of points in the toolbox and fit a standby coil. Short of losing the charging system, you can usually get home with a bit of ingenuity and lateral thinking.

Used Boyer Bransden transisterised ignition (with points) for some time. It improved things to some extent, and didn't wear out the points.

2010 rebuild. Discounted BTH because of bad press at the time. I fitted Pazon Surefire in place of the points system. Easy starting, smooth running, "fit and forget"(?). Mine is the cheaper, simpler version than most Vins seem to use (can't remember the name of the other one) and the only problem I've found so far is that there is no way of knowing exactly where the ignition timing is, unless you set up a strobe - a real pain at first, but worth the effort.

Just my experiences, I know people swear by mags, I only ever remember swearing at them!

H

vibrac

VOC Member
BT-H for me
3 bikes =2 racing all BT-H . only really weak spot are the coils cheap as chips so keep a spare . You only have to set the timing up once to know you have made the right decision -why has no-one else ever thought of that idea? and if you dont know what I am talking about get a BT-H,a 6mm rod and find out :)

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Roy Price (who advertises in MPH) sells Twin distributors, so he might sell distributors for Comets.
hi,
to convert a twin distributor for single use all you need to do is remove the rotor , and acquire a plain end cap. To fit a D distributor to any vin you will allso need the fitting triangle, drive boss, and mag pinion.
If you are interested I have a complete twin one that i would be willing to part with , if so conntact me by P.M.
cheers stumpy lord

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
You can do it with a Lucas DKX1A The one with a flat side. Try Price Productions 0(44) 1480 473225
14 Heron Court St Neots Cambs UK PE19 1TH
I can only supply a cast iron body, the points plate boss and clamp. all the screws and a condenser The drive parts are the same as a'D'
But i suspect he can supply one complete, Ken

nkt267

VOC Member
Roys kit for the Comet has the coil mounted under the tank. With care you can make a bracket to mount it under the mag cowl. John