MAG E Petition

Jim Richardson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This has started circulating around my local clubs and may be of interest to some.

MAG petitions UK Parliament: resist the spread of compulsory hi-viz in Europe

Following confirmation that hi-viz is to become compulsory in France from 2013 and Ireland from 2014, MAG member Jon Wilmer (Regional Rep for Thames Valley) has launched a petition
calling on the British Government to put pressure on the European Commission to discipline any member state that imposes clothing standards such as hi-viz on motorcycle riders.
The e-petition http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/26931 has gone live and runs for 3 months.

JimR

johncrispin

VOC Member
Jim, thanks for drawing attention to this. I hate this nanny state clap trap from idiot eurocrats. I always wear h/v but I do not see any reason for compulsion.

Howard

VOC Member
I’m not convinced hivis clothing works, I stopped bothering a few years ago – I was riding along a straight road, headlight on and hivis jacket, when a car coming in the opposite direction indicated and turned in front of me. This wasn’t a problem, I’d anticipated something silly, but then he stopped across my lane, right angles to the pavement, and got out to open the gate to his drive!!!!!!!!!!!!
Soon it won’t be “Sorry mate, I didn’t see you, it will be “Sorry mate, I was dazzled by your hivis jacket!”

H (who’s feeling grumpy today)

vince998

VOC Member
Reminds me of an Ogri cartoon :)
I’m not convinced hivis clothing works, I stopped bothering a few years ago – I was riding along a straight road, headlight on and hivis jacket, when a car coming in the opposite direction indicated and turned in front of me. This wasn’t a problem, I’d anticipated something silly, but then he stopped across my lane, right angles to the pavement, and got out to open the gate to his drive!!!!!!!!!!!!
Soon it won’t be “Sorry mate, I didn’t see you, it will be “Sorry mate, I was dazzled by your hivis jacket!”

H (who’s feeling grumpy today)

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with protesting about un-neccesary regulations, joining-in with an e protest? does not look like a good idea. I will keep my head below the parapet for this one due to the big brother effect.

Alan J

VOC Member
Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with protesting about un-neccesary regulations, joining-in with an e protest? does not look like a good idea. I will keep my head below the parapet for this one due to the big brother effect.
I don't follow you, Roy? what is wrong with an e- protest? and what do you mean by "the big brother effect? Sometimes one needs to stand up and be counted!

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Someone did a test in the States years ago and found headlights and reflective clothing didn't help very much with visibility. What DID help was when the bike and rider were made to resemble the Motorcycle Police.... Then they became very visible!:rolleyes:
Cheers, John

Howard

VOC Member
Someone did a test in the States years ago and found headlights and reflective clothing didn't help very much with visibility. What DID help was when the bike and rider were made to resemble the Motorcycle Police.... Then they became very visible!:rolleyes:
Cheers, John

That's interesting. Years ago I knew a motorcycle cop, he said he'd never had anyone pull out in front of him while he was on duty, only when he was on his "civilian" bike. His theory was "what's in it for me?" Car drivers don't pull out in front of trucks and buses because they're likely to come off worst, and cop motorcyclists will nick them, but cyclists and motorcyclists "It's their lookout!" He didn't claim it was deliberate, just subconscious.

H