PR: Proprietary Items MacDougalator warning light

Bill Cannon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have the Kubota alternator and corresponding regulator. There is a green wire for a warning light, which I would like to use, but does the other side of the bulb go to earth or to ignition+ve?

Cheers Bill

Alan Connor

New Forum User
VOC Member
I have the Kubota alternator and corresponding regulator. There is a green wire for a warning light, which I would like to use, but does the other side of the bulb go to earth or to ignition+ve?

Cheers Bill
Hi Bill, I expect you've resolved this by now, but based on some recent reading, I think you'll find that the green wire supplies the feed for the warning light, which therefore needs to be earthed to complete its circuit.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Hi Bill, I expect you've resolved this by now, but based on some recent reading, I think you'll find that the green wire supplies the feed for the warning light, which therefore needs to be earthed to complete its circuit.
Thanks Alan, I have resolved this now and you are correct, the other side goes to earth.
I meant to update this but forgot so thanks again.
Bill

Robert Watson

VOC Member
You should also make sure that you have a battery cut out. On my system which uses an alternator from a John Deere with a Yanmar diesel I found that the idiot light (Don't go there) drew 30-40 milliamps and if left to sit for a few weeks it drained the battery.

I should add that my system uses a red light that illuminates when the unit fails to charge.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
You should also make sure that you have a battery cut out. On my system which uses an alternator from a John Deere with a Yanmar diesel I found that the idiot light (Don't go there) drew 30-40 milliamps and if left to sit for a few weeks it drained the battery.

I should add that my system uses a red light that illuminates when the unit fails to charge.
Thanks Robert, I'll check that out.

Bill