Luggage Rack

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Craven's on an "A" been around the world Scandinavia, Route 66, Tasmania & all around NZ then home again, now not able to start it but my daughter cam waiting for Francios Grosset it make "A" starters. Christine and I did the Italian Rally on it too and she said it was as comfortable as my "B" and sons "D" Rapide. just imagine putting you wife on a pigeon perch on an "A", not being very considerate. The panniers are well back but I carried fuel panniers clipped over the horizontal tubes and still had room for feet on the footrests but they were brought forward from the RFM to plates from B & C MODELS.

P1050471.JPG

NZ SOUTH ISLAND VISITING JOHN VON TUNZALMAN
IMG_1942.JPG

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bananman said "Craven's on an "A" been around the world Scandinavia, Route 66, Tasmania & all around NZ then home again"

I thought for a moment? and then I remembered "Craven A", Ah! now that was a proper fag
1642758031569.png

You could design anything on the back of that!

Last edited:

Don Morris

Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Rack was bought from Cravens, they kindly fitted it to my "C" twin. I have modified it by cutting out the forward "T" , so that the frame could be moved forward. I have down several thousand miles with camping gear with no problems.
REAR CARERIERPICT2927.jpg

Colin

VOC Member
Colin my handsome, I'd prefer Ian Savages articulated single wheel trailer keeping the width down so one could split the traffic lanes, here you are Tim one umbilical plug and four R pins is what hold it on, made in 1993 on board ship by my fitter (Phillipino) who made the frame in S/S the big boxes and I made the small boxes 12 litre each That I wanted as fuel tanks that would have given me well over 500 mile range. Siting on the small panniers and eating off the big ones is some thing we have done a lot of when not on the bike and ten weeks in 95 doing the NZ international it's been really useful luggage holder, done about 140 k miles with them on but it wont't be much more now.

View attachment 46736

View attachment 46737
Marcus
Look at your private messages

Cheers Colin

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The Rack was bought from Cravens, they kindly fitted it to my "C" twin. I have modified it by cutting out the forward "T" , so that the frame could be moved forward. I have down several thousand miles with camping gear with no problems.
Lots of C bits there; well done!

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Don my handsome, good to see some one else using their "A" Rap as so many are not shown the light of day. Not down many miles since return with it from NZ in 2018 where I did a complete lap nearly round both Islands.Last time I saw yours was at Ugthorp Park 2005 and you were using a piece of wood as a side stand on the right side now see a hills stand fitted but I have copied your lowered oil feed from tank but linked it to my fuel tap.
HAVING MY NEW S/S EXHAUST MADE BY CHRIS KNIBBS IN NORTH ISLAND THEN THE ANNUAL & AGM THEN HEADED TO S,I,
IMG_1582.JPG

COUPLE OF HAIRY MEMBERS ALICE LENEY & CHRIS KNIBBS

IMG_1634.JPG

stevee

VOC Member
Panniers CUR.jpg

If you are looking for originality? .... These are the panniers that sat on the Series 'A' Comet after it returned from its European trips in 1938/9 (described in Back to 'A')
Panniers CUR (2).jpg

The bags sat on a simple frame that just perched on the pillion seat
The contents being:
String & Tape CUR.jpg

String and tape, candles, and a mug
Panniers CUR (1).jpg