Luggage Rack

Colin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Sorry but the only way to carry luggage is not to carry luggage Tow it!

Attachments

• 2012 Annual rally & Citroen Harrogate Rally 002.jpg
    2012 Annual rally & Citroen Harrogate Rally 002.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 29

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Colin my handsome, I'd prefer Ian Savages articulated single wheel trailer keeping the width down so one could split the traffic lanes, here you are Tim one umbilical plug and four R pins is what hold it on, made in 1993 on board ship by my fitter (Phillipino) who made the frame in S/S the big boxes and I made the small boxes 12 litre each That I wanted as fuel tanks that would have given me well over 500 mile range. Siting on the small panniers and eating off the big ones is some thing we have done a lot of when not on the bike and ten weeks in 95 doing the NZ international it's been really useful luggage holder, done about 140 k miles with them on but it wont't be much more now.

P1070078.JPG

DSC_4285.jpeg

vibrac

VOC Member
Thats as I remember it, just two rods to hang whatever size big or small panniers on (I would have small:) as I only do brick tents) You can remove the rods as well if you need leaving a standard looking saddle simple, effective and then when you pop down the shops it doesn't look like you have the forth bridge on the back

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Colin my handsome, I'd prefer Ian Savages articulated single wheel trailer keeping the width down so one could split the traffic lanes, here you are Tim one umbilical plug and four R pins is what hold it on, made in 1993 on board ship by my fitter (Phillipino) who made the frame in S/S the big boxes and I made the small boxes 12 litre each That I wanted as fuel tanks that would have given me well over 500 mile range. Siting on the small panniers and eating off the big ones is some thing we have done a lot of when not on the bike and ten weeks in 95 doing the NZ international it's been really useful luggage holder, done about 140 k miles with them on but it wont't be much more now.

View attachment 46736

View attachment 46737
Ah Happy Memories, The Morval Steam Rally, where I used to get the chance to ride Old Harry whenever I wanted to. Thanks Marcus, you have been, and remain a great friend.
Cheers
Peter

delboy

VOC Member
Coming back to the original enquiry, the simple answer is no.
A carrier designed for a "B/C" 500 or 1000 would not fit an "A" in any way.

As to how you would fit some sort of carrier to an "A"?
Just a parcel grid behind the pillion pad would be fairly simple to arrange. [I think Bruce Flood Thain had one?]
One could make slightly extended side arms for the pillion frame work and make a bolt on [or off] parcel grid behind. Would look quite in keeping, I think. Admittedly only a light duty item, but somewhere for the overtrousers and sandwiches.
I seem to recall seeing a wicker basket in this position on a bike in the past.
Trying to mount panniers on an "A" is another kettle of fish, unless they are mounted in a similar way to the works panniers. Perhaps the top mounts could be on the pillion frame rails?
As for a fully sprung rear end on an "A"!? I suppose a "Sledge" type carrier could be made, but it would make the bike look really odd.
And then there is the lack of Hydraulic damping to tame the rear end. Eeek!
Cheers,
Delboy.

Colin

VOC Member
And again

View attachment 46736

View attachment 46737
Good point Marcus. My trailer was originally designed by Phil Primmer though I got this one from the guy he sold out to. It is actually narrower than my BMWs and I always worked on the basis if the bike would go through the gap then the trailer would follow.! It is only very slightly wider than the Egli.Your solution and manufacture is fabulous however. Problem when filtering through traffic was always the length, and when to dive back into my lane , rather than width of the trailer. Remind me to tell you the story of the Italian policemen, and towing the trailer through Italy to the Greek Rally at Plataria. It was also a big hit with a lovely Italian lady

Attachments

• 2010 photos 028.jpg
    2010 photos 028.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 34