Misc: Ignition Lucas Rita

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Also if you leave the plug lead off and kick over with Ign' on it would blow the amplifier, Cheers Bill.
I think this is possibly true for several electronic ignition devices. The original magnetos had a safety gap screw that gave a path for the spark to jump harmlessly to earth if the plugs weren't earthed.
People may have discovered this screw when they have dismantled a magneto without removing it snd then found that the protuding screw has damaged the plastic flange on the slip ring.:eek:
It is a good idea to earth the plugs if you are turning the engine over with the plugs out.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I have a spare AB11 amplifier which you can buy or borrow-I'm away from tomorrow ( Monday)midday but if you send me an address by first thing I'll try to get it in the post before I go.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
It may say lucas on the tin, if it's like the car units, take it apart and there is a delco amplifier inside. Available from accesory shops under intermotor part numbers. Roy.

geoff b

New Forum User
VOC Member
Mine was the first Vincent to have Lucas Rita, as Mistral gave me the unit to try on my motor, it has been there ever since! Not changed a thing, just used the two 6 volt coils Mistral gave me. I use the machine regularly through most of the year and have done the odd track days for years. There is a company advertises in Old BikeMart, who now does a replacement electronic board that takes place of the original board and claim it is far more reliable than the Lucas one. I believe the cost for the board is £75 and it is a do it yourself repair, just found the advert, its Rex's Speed Shop, Tel 01580880768, it is £75.

Last edited by a moderator: